OK for kiln to get wet?

shawnhar

Hahahahha, I know I know, lol. 

I bought someone's entire small studio this morning and nothing has been used in like 3 years, it all stinks of mildew and I have it completely torn down laying in the driveway soaking up some sun. Can I leave it and the shelves/stands/peephole covers/temp cones, etc.. overnight with heavy dew and dry all day tomorrow? It will not be plugged in for 2 or 3 weeks, I just want to air it all out before bringing it inside.

NO!!!!!!!!!!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       

Tarp it for the night-keep the dew off -untarp in am and let dry-do not let it get wet again.The idea is to dry it out from this point forward.Tarps are cheap-even cardboard will work for. night or two.

Shawnhar - For your first firing, you might want to run a slow firing to gently drive off any accumulated moisture, much like you would do upon receipt of a brand new kiln. 

Here's a link to the L and L Jupiter Kiln manual which has information on firing up a kiln for the first time .  About 15 pages into the document you'll find the manual firing instructions for that first fire.  Instructions using an automated controller (Dynatrol) are another 12 or so pages below that.). 

https://hotkilns.com/sites/default/files/pdf/BookJupiterManual 9-26-11.pdf

-S. Dean

When cones get wet they can be affected-as Min said. You should test them against dry good cones.The rest of the stuff can dry out without harm. The electric panel on kiln needs to be very dry before energizing.

Thanks all!

I don't think it was clear from my post but I meant wet from dew, everything is bone dry and nothing has been wet.

I brought the kiln inside last night and the smell is mostly gone. The wheel is the worst smelling and I left it out last night, made sure everything else was under a patio umbrella to keep the dew off.

Archived