Corn syrup

Curious - why corn syrup? For its honey like texture or it’s chemical content? What does it do in spooze?Help with brushing on?

wouldnt honey work too or thick sugar syrup.  For that matter any thick syrup? Like middle eastern syrups to make cold drinks (I can see fruit based strips causing bacteria or mold - this smell) or the Torani flavoured syrup s we add in our coffee. I understand the cost factor!!! But in a bind I’d rather use some of my honey than run to the grocery store. Just wondering. 

Corn syrup just seem to be a kind of glucose syrup anyway. 

Glucose syrup
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Glucose syrup, also known as confectioner's glucose, is a syrup made from the hydrolysis of starch. Glucose is a sugar. Maize (corn) is commonly used as the source of the starch in the US, in which case the syrup is called "corn syrup", but glucose syrup is also made from potatoes and wheat, and less often from barley, rice and cassava.

I have used fake maple syrup and it worked fine.

maybe it is the stickiness that holds the pieces together till they dry.

Remember, only use spooze on bone dry clay pieces, if you want it to work.

Remember, wherever you go, there you are. 

I use spooze made with honey regularly. Seems to work fine. Think the sugar is there for the stickiness - can't see what else it should do, as it is bound to burn out during the firing.

I use spooze whenever i need something to stick properly, in situations where i can't "work" the pieces together. Both leather- and bonedry pieces.

/Sofus

As others have suggested, if you can't find corn syrup, a REALLY cheap maple syrup will work fine, as they are mostly corn syrup anyway, or something very similar.

Whatever you are using, don't forget a few drops of peroxide, to keep down "The Funk".  Mold and bacteria just looooove eating the organic bits of "Spooze".  I've kept some in a sealed container for several months, with zero growth, or even much of a smell.  What I did smell, reminded me of the inside of a canvas tent, not  something rotten.

I will say, as I've never tried using honey, I can't comment on the results, but I would guess, that you wouldn't need peroxide with it, as it is naturally antimicrobial. 

8 hours ago, Benzine said:

a REALLY cheap maple syrup will work fine, as they are mostly corn syrup anyway

No corn syrup in our very fine natural, pure, delectable New Hampshire maple sugar--the best you'll ever taste.  So, just use the fake stuff and don't waste the precious stuff.  :lol::lol:

13 hours ago, LeeU said:

No corn syrup in our very fine natural, pure, delectable New Hampshire maple sugar--the best you'll ever taste.  So, just use the fake stuff and don't waste the precious stuff.  :lol::lol:

Lee, I have NO doubt New Hampshire makes a very fine product!  

My wife likes using  one of the big brand names of syrup.  I hesitate to put the word "Maple" in front of it, because it definitely is not!  I was going to get some actual maple syrup at the store, but man, that stuff is pricey, in comparison, and has to be refrigerated.  

Archived