Temperature Algorithm?

curt

Not sure if this is the right place for this, but I have a suggestion for how we might save time and headaches when dealing with temperatures in threads.  Not sure if it can be done, but the folks back in the lab will probably know or could cook something up.

Since I work in Celsius, whenever I come across a forum post quoting temperatures in Fahrenheit, I have to stop and make a conversion, either by consulting some lookup table, or using a conversion app of some kind, or (GF!) using a calculator (too hard at that point).  After the 432nd F to C conversion this month, it occurred to me that it would probably be possible for the software guru’s to add a small bit of code to these forums so that when I am drafting a post and include a temp in Celsius, as long as it was in a very specific format (eg “1280 C”), the forum software would automatically recognise that and automatically calculate and insert  the equivalent temp in Fahrenheit behind my original in Celsius, using a little algorithm or something similar.  Without me or any reader having to do anything or make any calculations ourselves.  And of course vice versa for Fahrenheit to Celsius.

Hope it is clear what I am getting at?  Is that possible does anyone know?  Has it been implemented on any other websites or forums you are aware of?  Or is it already a feature on this website that I just don’t know about?  

Thoughts or comment appreciated.

Some of my posts I do spend the time to put both C and F temps but not all the time. It would be a nice thing to have but this is off the shelf software so if the option isn't there already then I don't think we can easily get it happening.

I am not sure what you use to view the website but I just open a new Chrome internet tab using ctrl+t then type '2240 f to c' in the address bar and google tells me. 

Nice idea, but it would only work with actual temperatures, not ramp rates.  Can't remember all the details right now (it's 2am and too hot to sleep), but the divide by 8 and times 5 doesn't need the add/subtract 32 bit.  Or numbers to that affect.

• 2 weeks later...

After reading this I created a simple Google Chrome plugin to convert ° F to ° C,  it seemed to work on a very basic level but it wouldn't work for all formats like  <number>F  or <number> F/hr without lots more work.    Also, it seems you can't create your own personal Chrome Plugins other than an unpacked version that gets removed every time Chrome is closed :( unless of course you cough up some money to Google to put it on the Chrome Extension store.

I just use this https://www.rapidtables.com/convert/temperature/fahrenheit-to-celsius.html

I do a lot of teaching in Europe and have to explain in both Celsius and Fahrenheit. There are a lot of convert apps on the web.

I don't really think there are folks back in the lab monitoring the threads on this forum.

Marcia

2 hours ago, Marcia Selsor said:

I don't really think there are folks back in the lab monitoring the threads on this forum.

This suggestion was passed along at the time Curt posted the idea. No news yet.

I just saw something like what I have suggested over at reddit.  A bot which converts imperial measurements to metric in posts.  Made by user u/Bot_Metric  I am investigating and will pass on what I learn.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived