Sign in to follow this  
nairda

Crystals in Reclaimed Clay?

When we reclaimed some clay in a community studio, the plaster bat we used to dry out the slop then 'grew' soft and fluffly looking crystals all along the edges. The reclaimed clay had a pretty bad odor but we figured it was just clay mold. Only one type of clay is used in the studio. Several questions: 1) is the reclaimed clay OK to use? 2)is the plaster bat OK to reuse? 3)What caused this to happen? We recycle the trimmings/failed pots routinely and this has never happened before. Thanks.

The crystals or white fuzz, is caused by soluble salts, and is harmless. I have 15 year old plaster slabs that get fuzzy and still work, although not as absorbent. For more info, see this thread Fuzz on plaster

Stinky clay is fine too, unless you have allergies.

No worries-just use it-fuzz is fine-its good in drinks-fine after shaving -good on baby's butts and great on plaster

Mark

The only Fuzz that gives me problems, is the kind that gives me a speeding tickets.