Dry firing on a new kiln

HeidiKT

Hello all - first question - after returning to pottery after a gap of too many years I’ve now taken ownership of a top-loader as a first step back in. I have green ware sitting around waiting to fire! The kiln is  new and recommends a dry firing. I’ve coated the kiln shelves with bat wash but am not sure whether they should fire with or without the pillars resting on them. Any views please?

1st let me say before you fire any washed shelves and posts-was the wash pre-made bought for a store?

If the answer is yes wash that stuff off and make your own wash-Pre-made wash will cause you issues down the road.

wash formule-1/2 alumina hydrate 1/4 epk 1/4 calcined(bisgued) or glowmax which is bought bisques epk

mix this to cream constituency .

Premade wash is cheap junk and we have seen it do more damage than good on this board  when folks complain when it cracks and falls off into the glaze wares.

Once you fire this poor quality wash its stuck on so wash it off with water than dry the shelves and posts and make your own wash and apply it.

As to firing the furniture(shelves and posts ) yes it best to stack this up like its loaded with wares and then fire.

2 hours ago, Mark C. said:

Premade wash is cheap junk and we have seen it do more damage than good on this board  when folks complain when it cracks and falls off into the glaze wares

I should have asked before I purchased  20lbs of wash from axner. What can I do with what I purchased??? and is 20lbs. sufficient to wash 8 shelves 12x24 more then once?    

5 hours ago, postalpotter said:

I should have asked before I purchased  20lbs of wash from axner. What can I do with what I purchased??? and is 20lbs. sufficient to wash 8 shelves 12x24 more then once?    

Postal potter-you can search this subject on the main page as so many have had this issue with premade wash.

You can use it in your garden as soil amendments or make some lines on your grass for croquet court.

Make your own wash-always and then we well not have to tell you to grind it off after its fired and fuzed to your shelves and cracking and falling off and stuck on.In ceramics there are lots of rabbit holes to fall into-this is one-cheap pre made wash made from poor ingredients. I have never seen a quality premed wash-I have been give many a brand from folks over the decades-its all junk .

I got instructions with my new electric brick kiln toploader. It was quite different than just a slow fire for new elements like it was many hours slow process so I'd research that.  Like 26!

25degC/hr to100

50degC/hr to700 soak 2hrs

60deg/hr to 1000

100deg/hr to 1100 soak 2 hrs off

From my log

There were bungs in and out too

If washing off kiln wash make sure then shelves are completely dried out.

Depends where you are but I have no probs with the production stuff I access, kiln wash that is

Reeasing Marc re kiln wash I do have probs:-000 I thought grinding was Norm!!!!! Well after 48yrs potting always something to learn or not 

Archived