Reglazing

Ibdeb

I glazed a pot. It was too boring.  I want to paint some details on the piece. Do I need to put apt2 in the glaze for the details? If I don't,  will the glaze not stick?

The surface is somewhat rough. I used Duncan Courtyard Glazes. Adding details with Envisions. I put one coat on already.  Would I need to scrape the first coat off?

I'm a newbie. 

You'll get lots of better answers when the experts get around to you, but for my two cents if you spray your glazed pot with hairspray first before attempting to do your reglazing it will help the glaze to stick. This works sometimes, sometimes not. Just adding some details with underglazes like you're doing should work pretty well if everything else is per usual. I admit I don't know what apt2 is but someone will. 

Same issue here. Don’t know what apt2 is.  

Let me confirm something. You fired with Duncan Courtyard but you didn’t like how it turned out. So now you want to add some envisions details to add some interest to the surface.  

Btw I’m not sure what you mean by rough. I wonder underfire because even tho the courtyards are matte they shouldn’t be rough.  Matte by itself is not shiny. 

Now here’s the thing about envision.  Or actually any glaze. When you see a one colour test tile you are looking at what the colour looks like on a claybody.  It will not look the same over your glaze. Many factors affect the end result that you still may not like. A transparent or translucent envisions will not look like the test tile, but it may make your pot look great or even worse. Without testing - going in blindly you never know.  

We have a microwave in our class, so I boil some hot water and that heats up the cup well enough for glaze to stick   A warm surface helps . That is with dipping glazes tho. For brushing I either warm in my oven at home to the lowest temperature or at school in the test tile kiln kiln which hold heat betterv

However since you said you were a newbie... 

my advice is spend more time making pots. If your form looks good then focus on surface. From my newbie days I have some terrible form cups with beautiful surfaces.  I can’t stand them.  

And no I am not an expert. I’ve just started and don’t have many years under my belt.

Archived