Re, sore aching hands, this has helped me

Recently there was a thread on how to manage sore hands and fingers and the combination of joint pain  and wheel pottery.  since that thread, I have come across something that is new to me and is helping a lot with my hands and fingers.  My husband has been trying everything to avoid a knee replacement and his Dr. recommended a fabric brace with some invisible copper threading in it.  He said it helped him , so I ordered a pair of that company"s open fingered gloves.  I only wear then at night, but I can go to bed with throbbing pains and wake up with none.    Hope it is OK to mention brands, they are Incrediwear, and they run large, I measured for the Large, but the medium is best for me.   They are called "circulation gloves"

I have found in the past few years, that if I don't keep moving, things get tougher. That also includes in my hands as my middle fingers of my right, and my right thumb seem to have problems bending unless they are forced to by some form of exercise. I have started using a hand grip device, and working the fingers with the other hand a bit. . . it helps. I have also been using infrequently a spray that I bought in the Caribbean, Nutmeg oil. It does relieve some of the pain and makes it easier to move into exercise of the hands. My throwing is still Ok, as the fingers do not effect the pointer and thumb the way I hold them to pull. Handles though are a different story that I discussed in another thread, now using an extruder for most. Am looking for an extruder that uses a screw thread instead of the putty gun crank type.

best,

Pres 

Pres-

The only extruder (that I know of) that is commercially made on this side of the pond is the North Star Big Blue. Might be a little big for just handles. You might try screw-type cookie presses, or if there’s someone you know in the other side of the pond, have them look for wad boxes.

Regards,

Fred

Pres,

At some point in the last two years, I saw a portable electric hand drill with several attachments that included a "putty gun" powered by the drill motor.   I do not remember the brand name.  You might inquire at your local hardware & tool stores.   You can easily convert a putty cartridge to a clay cartridge for extrusions.  

LT

added:   take a look at: 18-Volt ONE+ Power Caulk and Adhesive Gun at Lowes or Home Depot.   Just an example of what is available.

Mark, these aren't  quite like the compression gloves I tried, they are a soft gray knit, and don't seem different than light weight winter knitted cotton gloves, but there are fibers in them that do something that regular cotton gloves don't.

59 minutes ago, Fred Sweet said:

Pres-

if there’s someone you know in the other side of the pond, have them look for wad boxes.

Regards,

Fred

Fred, knew of wad boxes from the potters dictionary,  type of tool I would be looking for. I will also look into the screw powered putty guns, or just man-up and use the hand exerciser to get me able to use it more. My problem with using it is sometimes it leaves lines perpendicular to the extrusion. I though a threaded device would be more consistent.

Maybe building one will have to be the next pottery tip. ;)

best,

Pres

Hmmmm...I've already built a manual extruder...This gets me thinking of a way to adapt the motor and screw drive from a discarded trash-masher hooked up to a foot pedal switch which would leave both hands free...

JohnnyK

Do you have access to a welder? It's not pretty but it works. Fits the pugs straight from the extruder, I use different lengths of pvc plumbing pipe for the barrel so if I just need to extrude a few things I'm not cleaning out a long barrel. Joint effort between my husband and myself, been using it for about 10 years or so.

659272149_v-1(5).jpg.3129a91f323bf8a11209d33c7a09b9cb.jpg1185520369_v-1(7).jpg.78cf77c93e282655211e30780e9b681e.jpg686169023_v-1(6).jpg.a4ba2b1709bd8f244c04f6f1868ea532.jpg

1 hour ago, Pres said:

Looks like a drill press frame with quite a crank setup

Trailer jack, motorcycle sprocket, gear reducer, 1/2 hp motor and scrap steel. If it was mounted to the wall it would only be 1/2 a beast. As it is now it's on a rolling stand so I can move it if necessary. 

Archived