15 weeks in, excitement and frustration

OK, I think I am officially at the frustrated stage. I want to be good NOW (expletive) ! Getting better I think though, but little things like warping rims, pinholes, glaze runs, crawling, drips, small cracks in the bottom of my large bowls, the list goes on....bahhhh! Maddening I tell ya!

On the positive side, I finally become an "official" studio member next week. I get a full shelf and a key so I can go on my schedule and have some space finally, yay! That will definitely ease a lot of the frustration that stems from trying to finagle work and personal responsibilities to fit the times the studio is open. Game changer!

This is my current haul, you'll have to excuse the color, my camera is modified and throws the color off, have to reshoot my custom white balance again.

1726045685_potsasof06_28_18.jpeg.1a1cf20fff2e5f52f8ab100f71414922.jpeg

I think you are doing great too!  15 weeks, 15 months or 15 years, there are always frustrations with making pots. All part of the learning process, trying to figure out how to avoid making the same mistakes too many times and tons of practice.

Thanks Neil Min and Lee!

I totally get the music analogy, been playing guitar for a long time, never seriously though just for fun. I am taking this much more seriously and getting better way faster. Hoping to have enough decent pieces by September to do a booth at a local craft show. Starting a run of 50 mugs on Saturday, will be interesting to see how many I can get to in 8 hours.

12 hours ago, shawnhar said:

To be fair, I took pottery in high school, 30 years ago, so I had something of a head start this go round.

I to took a little pottery in high School as well.I just never stopped making it from there.

Never had any pottery until college, fourth year of five. 

You have definitely got me beat, as I only had 9 pieces when finished with the Summer course. Now for you next 15 weeks. . . . . 

best,

Pres 

Right on! Way to go!

Bwahaha! Now you have to pull 75 handles (evil laughter)!!! Or were you going to extrude them?

did you wedge too? That is tough on my body and bending over for long periods of time without a break.  Stopped and ate lunch?

I will have to clarify, as I only kept the pieces I made the last week of throwing, all others went into the slop bucket. As to handle pulling, another story I think I told a few times already.

best,

Pres

I think I'm going to step up and be fortune teller .

Next 15 years-

Runined kiln loads,collapsed,shelves, broken handles -blown up pots,

great pots, pots so so and not so so. Incredible results, pinholes everywhere. Shiny bright glazes, craters of the moon all over, great Matt surfaces, crawling everywhere. Pots fuzed together-pots shrunk to much-pots to big-to small-not right -just right.

Overfired pots -underfired pots-pots fired just right.

Happy potter sad potter-frustrated potter. I think I've mastered it. Oh no it all got away from me what was I thinking

I'm the glaze king look at this load

What was I thinking all the glazes ran like crazy.The whole load is trashcan material

I can do this -well maybe I can do some of this -ok its taken 40 years and I'm still just learning

They call it ceramics,i'm working on some parts in this life and then some in the next life and by the 3rd life I will master some of it.

Grasshopper

Couldn't have said it better Mark! The challenge to find balance is frustrating, but only experience and practice matter in the long run. Knowing what you can do, having ideas about what to try, and then how to fix the mess you made from trying something different.

best,

Pres

12 hours ago, Mark C. said:

They call it ceramics,i'm working on some parts in this life and then some in the next life and by the 3rd life I will master some of it.

Yeah, but by then all the materials will have changed and you would have to start all over again. ;)

11 hours ago, preeta said:

Right on! Way to go!

Bwahaha! Now you have to pull 75 handles (evil laughter)!!! Or were you going to extrude them?

did you wedge too? That is tough on my body and bending over for long periods of time without a break.  Stopped and ate lunch?

Yes, wedged it all that day and I will pulling in "handle hell" as someone in the studio called it, lol. I did take a couple of breaks, and ate a sandwich and the owner gave me a few breaks with conversation/wisdom. It was tough on my body as well, the studio is not set up for production and there is a lot of wasted movement.

On 6/29/2018 at 5:00 PM, Pres said:

Never had any pottery until college, fourth year of five. 

best,

Pres 

Same here Pres.    I never did clay work K-12, except for one, quick coil pot my Junior year, which was never fired.  My instructor just had some clay left over, from a student led project, and decided to teach us the coil process.  

One of the main reasons I took Ceramics in College, was because I needed another 3-D type class, for my Art Education degree.  And I'm glad that was the case.  I had a great teacher, and it is one of my favorite classes to teach, as well as a favorite for the students to take.

Obviously, we have much in common there. I had a poor teacher, but access to excellent equipment. I was also very driven from the first time I sat on the wheel. In the long run I was told be the secretarial staff in the office that I the prof treated me the way he did because it was beyond just dislike. Never knew why. I took several classes at Penn State in grad training, and had Ron Gallas as teacher in the last one, excellent considering it was a Summer 9 weeks class.

best,

Pres

Archived