Most used sieve size?

Are you asking about volume?

I haven't yet reached the point where a Talisman is needed, and I probably made $30,000 worth of pots last year.  (That's made, not sold.) I have an 80 mesh that fits over a 5 gallon pail, and a couple of test sieves.  They have been serving my needs just fine for the last 15 years. Make sure whatever you get is easy to clean. 

80 is all I ever use. I keep a 150 mesh also, but it's only needed with a rare handful of materials, like if you have a stain that tends to speckle rather than evenly disperse. When I worked for A.R.T. Clay,  out of the 50 or more color stains that we used in our glaze lines, there was only one that required the 150 mesh.

I have two Talisman sieves-with a set of all the screens. I also have one of their mini screens in an 80 for test batches as well as many 12 inch metal  rings and a few plastic/brass screens-I mostly only use the Talismans with 80 mesh in them-my original is made from aluminum before they went to plastic. I have wore out two sets of bushings and many sets of brushes-I keep spares of course.I visited the Talisman shop/factory when I was in New Zealand in the 90's and bought a slew of parts back then.

I could not do what bi do in the same time frame without this tool.Thge other key to using one is having a flexible short hose on your washout sink to clean this tool-my is silicone rubber 3/4 inch hose on the long pipe above my special wash out sink in studio.It a joy to wash it up with the right setup.

100 mesh takes far longer to screen glazes with. I've got 80 and 100 size, rarely use the 100, just use it if I'm making underglaze or engobes with stain. For glazes I don't think screening through the 100 makes any noticeable difference to using an 80.

I have a 30 mesh sieve that I use occasionally for really lumpy glazes, or to resieve a hardpanned glaze. It breaks up the clumps and everything passes through quickly in far less time than I would need to scrape it directly through the 80 mesh screen.

Archived