Need help with design idea...

I'm looking to make a soup bowl with a splatter lid.  At first I thought I would just make a perforated lid like a steeping lid on a mug.  Then I saw this https://youtu.be/JalhG8xikc0 online.  Would like to try making this too.  Is there a particular glaze that is non-stick?  Silly question I know but that's what newbies do... ask lotsa dumb questions.  LOL     https://www.pinterest.ca/pin/53339576811059987/  The website from the manufacturer says you should be careful not to scratch the non-stick surface.  

For the splatter lid on my soup bowl, do you think it best to have many holes or just one to let the steam out so the lid doesn't blow off.  

Welcome to the forum! Questions are indeed welcome here.

I think as long as you're using a shiny glaze that is soundly forumlated to fit the clay body you're using and fully mature at the temperature you're firing to, it should resist eggs sticking to it in the microwave.  If you use a metal scrubber on any ceramic surface, it'll scratch. For a piece that is meant to be used in the microwave repeatedly, I'd pay a lot of attention to thermal shock tests.

In terms of which design to use, I'd make a couple of each and test them out to see which you prefer.  Using the object itself will teach you a lot about what design will work the best.

Thank you Callie...now I have something else to learn about... thermal shock!  LOL  Seriously, I appreciate your reply.  I will be making this soup bowl for my own use and I guess you are right, just make one of each and see which works better.  Clay is cheap!  I joined a pottery club that is 45 mins from my home but I can get all my kiln firings done for $2/lb.    Have bags of clay given to me to practice on so off I go to the creative corner!  

Thermal shock tests usually involve putting a piece in the freezer for 12-24 hours, and then either immersing in boiling water, or even boiling them for a period of time to see if the piece breaks, or the glaze crazes.  If your glaze fits the clay body properly, it should survive this treatment. If the piece doesn't survive, it's  back to the 'ol glaze test sieve.

Given that you're just beginning right now, I suggest focus on working out the form first. The glazing is going to be a whole other skill set, but one we can help you with when you're ready for it.

Thanks dhPotter, will try to find that article.  ETA that I found the article and was able to read it as one of my 3 free articles with new membership.  This forum is an amazing resource and such helpful friendly artists in here!  Again THANKS!

Archived