QotW: Do you collect pottery and ceramics?

Last week, Yappystudent posted the following question in the Question pool for the QotW: Do you collect pottery and ceramics? 

Not an unusual question to be asking fellow potters, but I don't remember anyone asking before. My answer to this is yes, I have collected a few pots here and there of late, to remember some excellent potters, and good times. I decided I needed to do more of this a few years ago when I visited Dwight Hollands home outside of Asheboro, NC while attending the NC Potters Conference. Dwight's home was a potters haven, and home to hundred if not thousands of pots. We were invited in for a quiet party, and Dwight told us all to handle the pots, enjoy them and have fun. I was nearly dizzy most of the night as I was touching pots and seeing actual pieces by people that I had only read about in books and magazines. I decided as much as possible I would begin purchasing pieces that would remind me of and experience, or a person for later years. So I have spent a very small amount collecting  a few pieces that I treasure. My first ones had been at the conference, and others later, I also have some that were given to me as gifts, and have given others mine as gifts, humble as they are. I enjoy seeing them, and remembering a great demonstration, or a talk over coffee, or even a winning smile from them when first met. Memories.

best,

Pres

• Pres pinned and unpinned this topic

I purchase or am given ceramics now and then as well. 

When my children were young we attended an annual holiday arts and crafts fair where my husband and kids had a maybe ten year ritual of heading off to a booth that offered Lithuanian clay houses to choose a holiday gift for Mama. These houses were intended to enclose a candle or perhaps incense as part of a Christmas display, though the houses did not say Christmas in any way otherwise. Each year I would open a couple of parcels that would show me the houses the kids chose for me that year. I love them and have them out all year round.

My sister in law for many years lived in Asheville SC and often sent pottery to someone in my family as a holiday gift, before shipping got so absurdly expensive. For many years too people often sent me clay pigs of the sort that have long been popular in Mexico and South America, either round and brown with three legs or with flowers painted on their sides.

In the last decade or so I have purchased ceramic sculpture for myself on some occasions I wanted to commemorate, like my 60th birthday or a memorial.  I have several pieces by one artist and one by another whose work I saw at a local Summer arts fair where neither shows anymore, but I have their cards.

Edited by Gabby

Rarely- do I buy one,I did a Coleman workshop in the 80's and I bought a few of his  finished pots-same deal with Robin Hopper-but his where only bisques from the workshop-I finished them with glaze and fired them. I also did a workshop with Vivika and Otto a back in the 80'snd have piece from them as well. I was given one from  one of my customers of Warren MacKenzies as well. It was broken so I traded him one of mine for one of his.I have a few others that you would not know over my career and most where trades.I may own a dozen such works as well as a few trades from Potters that I went to school with who are long ago done with clay.

yes, there are pitchers  around the top of my kitchen cabinets, cream and sugars on the china cabinet, lots of various things in the shelves around the fireplace in the living room and a huge collection of the smaller Windy Meadows houses in two rooms.  plus all the things in the kitchen cabinets, the beautiful things my daughter in law called "mismatched dishes".  i am considering downsizing and selling some of the ones by potters that collectors know.  

From back to front, left to right--my entire collection to date. The penquin is by Liz Fletcher, NH, the miniture porcelain collored clay, crafted in the neriage technique is by Karen Orsillo, NH; the slip trailed little vase is by Maureen Mills and my all-time-favorite coffee mug is by Steve Zoldak, both of NH; the two mini jars are by Joseph Painted Bear, PA.  My previous art budget went into paintings, but now I am setting aside some spendoolies for my next few acquisitions, from clay people who have been/are active on this site. Oh, and I forgot--I have a lovely porcelain water pipe by Ray Aldridge (who used to be on here). 

20180612_192454--.jpg

Edited by LeeU

Ah, I have many. Each holds a memory for me, from beginning fellow students, trades with other potters, admired artists and teachers. Most are cups and mugs, some larger serving pieces, some sculpture  

I've been wondering what the best way to catalog/document The Permanent Collection. A note inside or bottom? Photo album with notes? Video tour?

What do you guys do or recommend?

I keep business cards with the pieces I have collected when I have one. I am looking into putting together either a database, or spread sheet of the artwork in the house now/ much of it does not need a card as much of it is mine from pottery to watercolor to acrylic paintings. I also have several prints of my own and of old students. Of the pottery Cynthia Bringle, Mea Rea, Tom Roberts, John Glick, Glenn Woods/Keith Herbrand and  a few others are represented. I also have a hanging weaving of Jean Giddings, and  three prints by Giovanni Bonazzon that are nicely framed.  Many of these are because of travels,  friendships, or chances to purchase work I really admire.

best,

Pres

Moving from a country to another quite often, I never really considered starting a collection. When I was in Japan and visited some pottery centres there, I found 2 pieces that I decided I would keep with me. If they ever break I will replace them with some other handmade pieces. It makes me incredibly happy to use unique and beautiful pieces but I don't feel the need to have more than what I have now. 

Anything I have that is special, whether something I have collected or something left from my parents or my husband's parents or anything of sentimental value, I have entered on a spreadsheet with a physical description in one column and an explanation of why it matters in the other. Some things are entered in groups, like "Lithuanian houses," or  "Mama-made paintings."

I did not always do this, but we went through this when we updated our will.

I have collected various pieces over the years with the latest being a couple of pieces traded and purchased from our own Mark Cortright. My favorite, however,2003621453_Crystalvase1sm.jpg.bcc84c085d09b4177f334568e458157c.jpg is a crystalline glazed vase that was broken and dug out of the trash. My wife managed to salvage all of the pieces and I glued it back together and I keep it as an inspiration for my eventual foray into that realm of glazing...

JohnnyK

• Pres featured this topic