Terra Cotta

peb

I have only worked in stoneware, firing to ^10 in gas reduction. I am interested in making a series of birdhouses (to be used by real birds) and wondered if terra cotta is considered better for this and why? Is a more porous clay considered better for outdoor use?

Probably any clay you use should have an absorbency rate between 1.5 -3.5% in order to survive freezing. This precise % has been debated and is very subjective..some believe a bit of porosity is good others think it should be minimal. Read Hamer and Hamer then decide for yourself.

I would recommend firing terra cotta to maturity depending on the terra cotta, that could be as high as ^2.

Alligator Clay in Baton Rouge has a ^2 terra cotta.

Some suppliers sell Terra Cotta for ^04 but it can be fired hotter to ^02 maybe ^01...you have to test.

Do absorption test...

process has been discussed in the past. Check archives.

Marcia

Probably any clay you use should have an absorbency rate between 1.5 -3.5% in order to survive freezing. This precise % has been debated and is very subjective..some believe a bit of porosity is good others think it should be minimal. Read Hamer and Hamer then decide for yourself.

I would recommend firing terra cotta to maturity depending on the terra cotta, that could be as high as ^2.

Alligator Clay in Baton Rouge has a ^2 terra cotta.

Some suppliers sell Terra Cotta for ^04 but it can be fired hotter to ^02 maybe ^01...you have to test.

Do absorption test...

process has been discussed in the past. Check archives.

Marcia

Thanks for those tips Marcia. I'm not familiar with Hamer & Hamer, but I'll look into it. ~p

Archived