fired the kiln today

Fired the kiln today and even though an electrician did all the work and checked out my kiln wiring and all that I have to admit I was still a nervous wreck after everything that happened before. Glad to report all went great and everything I fired turned out pretty good.

You got that kiln filled fast, I'm glad your firing went well and your house is safe now. I'm still tiling but I'll be able to grout by this weekend, turns out there is no real hurry we are lowering the ceiling in that area so that we don't feel like were eating in a tube. I ordered some tin ceiling tiles but I didn't realized that they made each order as it came in and it will take a month to get them. Such is life Denice

Hey great, Glad all is up and running. I have a kiln that i need to get fixed up. ECK. I keep procrastinating about it, the thermocouple got killed when it got moved to my studio. I cringe internally when people start talking about amps and volts... I think I might dig a big pit Trina

I moved out of my shared co-op studio space. The week before I moved out I decided to fire one last bisque.[40 mugs and 25 pie dishes.]I had bought one third of the $600.00 used Cone Art kiln. Stacked the bisque with my work and others so that it was completely full. Threw the switch. The red light came on for 30 seconds qand then nothing. Obviously a short.

Had to unload and reload the neighbouring kiln. Called the kiln guy who is also aour clay supplier. He takes the front panel of the kiln off and is checking everything, when, ZAP! He shocks himself with 220 volts. He says;"Oh. yeah. the power is still on!"

This is a guy who works on kilns all the time. Turns out there was a short at the electrical box between the breaker and the kiln. A junction box, I guess.I sold my share of the kiln for $200.00, but I had to pay $85.00 for the kiln repair before I sold it.

I am currently kilnless in my new studio.

TJR.

Moral; Don't fool with electricity. Let the pros do it. Not worth the savings.

Archived