pugmill - Bailey vs Peter Pugger

Lgg

Stephen, thanks for your comment and confirmation of  each manufacturer's reputation. You are right - I am overthinking, but have decided on which machine to buy.  Since I have no experience with de-airing mixer puggers, listening to experienced users on differences in the two options might temper my expectations since "you don't know what you don't know".

didn't mean to sound flippant, sorry if I came off that way. I'm an equipment junkie and get that when spending so much money you want to not make a mistake. In this case they really do the same thing and they are both great machines. I assume you are like me in that you toss your reclaim in buckets and you want to run it through the pug mill when you have some build up of buckets. I just don't think you are going to be disappointed with either machine and although they do have some different specs that have been discussed, I seriously doubt many of the differences will matter to you once you start using the one you buy.

Hope you like your choice, 

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I have been following this thread and my dilemma has been the same(for 2 years) to chose between the PP VPM 9SS and recently the Bailey MSV 25 SS.  It has been taking long to decide because I wanted to find out how much clay I use before investing in an expensive but good machine, and of course the size suitable for my needs.  I am an Art Teacher and have a Studio where I teach multiple disciplines including Ceramics and Pottery on the Wheel to kids and Adults.  I do about four firings a year only, but the Clay has accumulated somewhat and because of a herniated back I have to mind the physical work.  I have always re-wedged what I needed, but seeing all the buckets of remnants...with a Pugger it will be much cleaner and organized. Plus I never throw away clay.

My mom always says: " First choice is the best choice".  So far this has proven always right for me, for one it applied to my daughters dad too : )  I have not decided which pugger to get yet but I am sure after writing the pros and cons I may make a solid decision which one to get.

Reasons why I like the two, because they both hold 25 LBS, mix scraps, de-air, pug  and are stainless(I have future plans of giving Porcelain a try and work with low fire white clay (have been known to pit the Aluminum barrels(read the forums))...yes. Both companies have been on the market for a very long time.

Bailey has such great reviews and a community, the YouTube videos give wonderful insight and the machine is awesome no doubt.  I love the fact that one can throw in more clay without losing vacuum for sure. Oh and they are out of Stock until August 2018.

However compared to the Peter Pugger, I like it because it is a more compact machine and taking the barrel off and cleaning( if I ever will need to) looks a bit more practical to me and my health.  I do not mind if I lose vacuum to add more clay.  I guess it is a different process, every pugger needs getting used to.  My only concern is must there always be a full chamber of clay to pug everything out v.s. the Bailey too?  I am sure there will always be some clay left in the barrel which makes sense because the clay needs to push itself out?! That will make accessing the clay in the Peter Pugger easier if I wanted to clean it out manually and without opening the Barrel?  I wish there were more videos on YouTube about the Peter Pugger used by Potters.

I have always leaned towards the Peter Pugger, it was my first choice too but the Bailey is a very good machine too.  For now the size is also a key issue and do find the Bailey too big.  Depending on the feedback and advice I will make my final decision.

Thank you so much.

Myzer,  thanks for your post. I struggled a long time deciding which mixer-pugger to purchase. I like them both, and both have a good reputation and excellent customer service.  For the model I wanted, the price difference was negligible.  I finally decided to order the Bailey MSV25-SS which is supposed to ship in August. I think Peter Pugger has the better advertising campaign to go with their "catchy name" and the larger and more ardent following, but decided to order Bailey based on the strength of the published specs.

On 5/30/2018 at 3:16 PM, Rex Johnson said:

I'm seeing two pugmills for sale locally on CL for $2K a piece.

One is a Walker and the other is a Peter.

Whatyya think about these?

Walker

00b0b_gbgx2NMXJpV_600x450.jpg01717_1vETvplQIBi_600x450.jpg00505_QCIbJJcEjD_600x450.jpg

Peter

00V0V_bbM3pDPMoKm_600x450.jpg00U0U_4g41rzX4BXF_600x450.jpg

The Walker looks like it is in new shape with the stainless interior and blades. Blades are all in a alignment, on the walls and the screw. At the same time, I can't see if the knee kick safety is there, or the overhead safety. This pug mill in in pristine condition if they are. I used to run one all day long, never stopped when I was teaching, load a little in, walk around to  the kids and then put some more in. Side output dropped into a bucket. Newer mills will do more, deair, and even extrude, but for work horse the Walker is a legend.

best,

Pres

A few notes

The baileys I'm sure is a good solid machine-never seen one but they make good stuff. I have one of their electric slab rollers which Bailey was famous for making the best slab rollers 35 years ago and still does.

Petter Pugger was also famous for making mixer pugger/mixer 35 years ago-thats all they make to this day mostly.So you can imagine that have it down very well.The machine is built like a tank.The only thing that will wear out is an O-ring.

The baileys are of a more traditional pug mill only shape thats why they are longer.

The PP is a bit more compact as the mixer section of the barrel is larger (better for mixing) hence a shorter machine. 

As to making or loosing the vacuum it only takes seconds to get it back again with the PP.

I'm a PP fan but also know you can not go wrong with a Bailey.

9 hours ago, Lgg said:

Myzer,  thanks for your post. I struggled a long time deciding which mixer-pugger to purchase. I like them both, and both have a good reputation and excellent customer service.  For the model I wanted, the price difference was negligible.  I finally decided to order the Bailey MSV25-SS which is supposed to ship in August. I think Peter Pugger has the better advertising campaign to go with their "catchy name" and the larger and more ardent following, but decided to order Bailey based on the strength of the published specs.

Hello Lgg,

Congratulations in your choice. Maybe I should wait until you get yours for some demo videos from you? Yes I had called Baileys too and they were out of Stock until August.  Please keep us posted how your experience is with the Bailey??

Thanks.

On 6/21/2018 at 1:11 PM, Mark C. said:

A few notes

The baileys I'm sure is a good solid machine-never seen one but they make good stuff. I have one of their electric slab rollers which Bailey was famous for making the best slab rollers 35 years ago and still does.

Petter Pugger was also famous for making mixer pugger/mixer 35 years ago-thats all they make to this day mostly.So you can imagine that have it down very well.The machine is built like a tank.The only thing that will wear out is an O-ring.

The baileys are of a more traditional pug mill only shape thats why they are longer.

The PP is a bit more compact as the mixer section of the barrel is larger (better for mixing) hence a shorter machine. 

As to making or loosing the vacuum it only takes seconds to get it back again with the PP.

I'm a PP fan but also know you can not go wrong with a Bailey.

Hi Mark,

Yes I think I will be ordering the VPM 9SS.  I just love the compact size and it looks easy to clean if needed to, plus their good reputation.  The Bailey is a Solid and super nice machine too and much better priced for sure but for my use it is too large to fit in my Studio.

Thank you so much for your advice everyone.  I will share some pictures once it is installed ; )

Archived