1st Practice run at production

3 hours ago, shawnhar said:

I don't like that they are wildly different, the one on the left has a handle that sicks out way too far and is too thin, and it is not round on the rim, at all.

A suggestion re handles, I see your mug on the left has gone oval, if you are okay with that then no worries, if you want mugs to stay round then after attaching the handle true up the rim again. You can do this by pressing in a tapered cup, like the Solo red beer cups, press it in the mug until the rim is pressed back into round then while holding the base of the mug pull the cup straight up and out. Can also make a bisque cone shape to do the same thing. If you are limited in how many pieces you can fire I would practice making a couple dozen handles to start then attach them to  some of your already glazed and fired mug rejects. Stick 3 or 4 on each practice mug, go through all the handles then line them up to see what looks better. Take the best handle forms then put 3 or 4 on a practice mug, glaze fire and see which handle works and looks the best. 

On 5/17/2018 at 5:25 PM, yappystudent said:

Nice dark blue glaze BTW.  Some simple decoration: Dots, one random line, etc, would make a big difference and help balance out the novice imperfections in your work visually. Take a paintbrush, your finger, a feather, etc. Dip this in some red/black oxide, underglaze, or contrasting slip. Apply tip of brush to surface before glazing. Count rapidly to 3 as you move the brush then STOP.  Then apply whatever glaze you're going to do. 

It aint rocket science.jpg

Archived