Copied Images

Received the following email this morning:

"Hi there, I noticed you are in B.C. but there is an event in Ontario that is using an image of your mugs, I'm sure you aren't attending or maybe you are. There have been conversation on the event page about another potters from the UK, she stole images of his pottery but has now since removed it. As an artist myself i know I wouldn't appreciate people stealing my images. Just thought you should know.
Here is the link to the event showing your mugs https://www.facebook.com/events/123041638400773/"

I don't use facebook, can't find any other way to contact the organizer. Doesn't really matter one way or the other but kinda low. https://www.facebook.com/events/123041638400773/

edit: my picture has since been taken off her page

I've had a few back and forth emails with her, twice she has said more or less the same thing, "When I do a search on Google and make sure that it is not copywritten that photo comes up which means that it is not a copywrite picture

I will change it but I hope you know that that photo is NOT copywrite material"
I emailed her a copy of the Canadian Copyright Law re photographs and no, she doesn't have the right to do this in Canada.
She has since removed my image and threw a parting shot at me. 

I think posting images from Instagram -facebook and whatever is a common practice these days-no matter what folks are doing with them.Its like using Getty images for free and whats that done to all photographers (killed their business) It seems every few days we get them posted here wondering on how they made this or that. Its the nature of the web.I doubt many think about copywrite law when doing this.

I think this is now rampant .I personally have not used Facebook for my business and do not plan to ever.Most of my photos of pots are only posted on this site only.My web site has very few photos as its an info site only, When you post a photo these days you have to be thinking on where it may be used and if you are ok with it.

I'm not an Instagram  user either.

Nobody wants to pay for photos anymore .

A second person who emailed me regarding both my work and his being posted on that site sent me a link to the facebook Copyright Report Form. He used it to get a picture of his work removed. It's here if anyone else needs it. 

59 minutes ago, Min said:

I've had a few back and forth emails with her, twice she has said more or less the same thing, "When I do a search on Google and make sure that it is not copywritten that photo comes up which means that it is not a copywrite picture

I emailed her a copy of the Canadian Copyright Law re photographs and no, she doesn't have the right to do this in Canada.

This person is a moron. I'm glad facebook has a process for reporting an infringement. This event must be really cheesy, if they can’t use their actual exhibitors in their marketing. 

This is rampant. I was helping my mother in law with her etsy shop the other day and she called me saying she needed help with a lady who was listing her items in their shop. The exact same picture, the exact same title, and the exact same description. How does etsy not even catch that? Anyways she contacted the seller and the seller instantly removed the item, but still, what in the world is happening to people. 

I agree with Mea here, using other peoples work and not your craftspeople's work, going to be one horrible show.

What a strange time we live in.  

To use photos to promote an event from artists that are not exhibiting there seems a very deceptive practice even if it were not illegal. But what was the Etsy shop planning to do that was listing another artist's items? What if someone had actually ordered the item?

Was the shop then going to buy it from mother-in-law and then resell it? 

Etsy is basically an open market now with a lot of shady factories in Asia, Russia and other places competing with home-based crafters. Even though I screen them out when I do a search on their site, I still occasionally stumble across some jackass doing shady business under the handmade, U.S. only search category. Recently I discovered a shop posting a photo of elephant figurines, on their shop were a line of hate reviews posting pictures of what they actually got; a piece of crud that looked nothing like the shop image, some just had their money taken. The reviews were balanced out with positive reviews presumably by friends/family of the shop owner, so it wouldn't be auto-flagged for investigation I assume. Since Etsy went to open market type sales they sort of hide behind this magazine-like facade when really they're just Ebay with shops. A shop on Ebay last I looked cost about $120 a month. 

2 hours ago, Gabby said:

Was the shop then going to buy it from mother-in-law and then resell it? 

That was the crazy part. It was something she sells for 35 dollars which is very high priced for what it is. But the other seller was selling it for 8.50. I have no idea what the plan was. I guess make it as close as they could to the original.

It may come to using a "NO REPOST" mask over all work that you post anywhere. It is easy enough to do in any image editor using a second layer with the lettering, and then lowering the transparency of that layer to 10 or 15%. Flatten the image, and re-save under a new name for the "protected" image. If it is used in a place often known for image theft, I would consider it.

On 4/15/2018 at 1:29 PM, Min said:

Even supposing the soundness of her reasoning that Google is the arbiter of intellectual property law for all items on the web, I bet she didn't get too many responses for "copywrite" protection.  Perhaps she should have consulted a copywriter to help her .......:wacko: 

I would much rather do it myself, I really have become very untrusting in some ways. To load a file onto an app on line, seems to possibly open myself up to trouble. . . either for the file or otherwise. So I resist this sort of thing. Now if it were a downloadable file that I could download from a reputable download site, then I would consider it. However, til then, I'll use the Gimp.

best,

Pres

I am rather surprised by this whole thread, although I should not be.  It seems to be a matter of course to find an easy way to look good or make a buck.  I have worked a number of jobs in my adult and pre adult life, but I really don't think any of them were as complicated and layered as being a potter and marketing and selling work.  Rather than promote the artists at the sale, the organizer seemed to be looking for a way to get customers in the door.  So that either speaks to the poor quality of the vendors or the ignorance of the organizer.  Ignorance of quality and appropriate marketing and/or ignorance of the craft that person was supposedly marketing. 

Min, I am glad  you at least got your photo removed and hopefully that person learned something, something about marketing and promotion.  Like Callie pointed out, if I were a vendor at the sale, I would be MAD to think that the organizer didn't use photos of actual participants.  It speaks to a low quality event.  

Roberta

1 hour ago, clay lover said:

common practice here . An instructor using a picture off Pinterest of someone else's piece to advertise their own class , sort of cheezy and misleading, but, whatever...The public doesn't know the difference.

But don't  you think that is an integrity issue??  Or am I just being an ol' fuddy duddy? :huh:

@Sputty, thanks for doing that test with the watermark with my kitchen utensils pot. I agree with you that the "no photographs" signs can be off putting if overdone. A couple decades ago I don't remember many issues with people taking pictures, now it's impossible to stop. When someone asks if they can take a picture I usually say yes and thank them for asking. Most of the time they volunteer that they are taking a picture to ask their friend/husband/sister etc their opinion on it. A few times I've had people whip their phone out and just start taking pictures, I try and ask if they are a potter and they usually just walk away. 

@Roberta12, 100% it's an integrity issue. And no I'm sure you are not being an 'ol fuddy duddy!

Archived