Re-firing underfired glazed earthenware

Hello, 

Recently I did a cone 03 glaze fire (fast firing) for earthenware pieces and during the firing at 1833 degrees F, the kiln received an error code for e-1. The firing was intended to reach 1987F  but was not able to reach this temp due to the error. The effects were pinholing and glaze which had not matured, due to being underfired. I would like to re fire these pieces again, but am uncertain as to what temp will help the glaze mature. Earthenware, I was told by my instructor will crack if put through a second firing at the same temp (cone 03). Does anyone have an idea as to what temp will be appropriate for a re-glaze fire? I will not be using the same kiln (an automatic) and instead will be using a manual. 

Side note: the kiln was put through a test firing  after the e-1 incident and seems to be working just fine..but since it has already received the code once and caused problems, I would prefer to use another kiln for the re fire of my glazed earthenware pieces.

If the pots are not acceptable as they are then I would re-fire to the proper cone. Also, if your bisque firing was lower than 03 and the earthenware matures at that cone then this first glaze firing is in essence just another bisque firing. Glazes might be a little bit more runny but should be okay since you didn't get to 03. If you are concerned about cracking just go slow on the firing.

Welcome to the forum :)

Thank you, 

Yes the glaze was pinholing on some pieces while on others it was matt. The original bisque fire was at cone 08. Yesterday, I re-fired a few of my pieces (ones I was less concerned about if thermal shock were to occur) and fired them on slow up to cone 03. Currently waiting for the kiln to cool down, but hopefully this firing will fix any problems. Thank you again for your advice. 

Archived