Has anyone used Botz brush on glazes?

Hi,

Has anyone used Botz brush on glazes? I have found them really awkward to apply evenly. They go dry as soon as they touch the clay. I am using terracotta slipcast earthenware. I am using brush on glazes for now as I have just started doing ceramics again and couldn't buy lots of glaze ingredient straight away.

Thanks,

Emma

Hi,

Has anyone used Botz brush on glazes? I have found them really awkward to apply evenly. They go dry as soon as they touch the clay. I am using terracotta slipcast earthenware. I am using brush on glazes for now as I have just started doing ceramics again and couldn't buy lots of glaze ingredient straight away.

Thanks,

Emma

Hi Emma.

Yes the Botz or other Rok glazes are like that.

You must well stir the glaze so it is a little bit more suble and soft.

The first layer should be applied fairly thick in a criss cross way. Lets say two strokes to the right two storkes over it to the left on a small patch. This will dry fairly quickly.

Apply second layer less thick and if you like a third layer.

The important thing is to work very accurately and concerated so you know where you have applied and where not so you should get an even spread.

Make sure you do not put any glaze on the bottom. It is rather difficult to clean it off properly.

Happy glazing !

Judith

Archived