What’s on your workbench?

Not so much what's on it, but what fell off it. Before I'd even taken a photo!  It was a woven piece, made with trimmings from a mult-layer slip casting. 

Can't add a photo from my phone - too big, I'll add it later. 

20190717_094626 Smaller.jpg

Edited by Chilly
Photo added

I am going to finish cleaning my studio  today and start throwing molds for my antique glass bottle bottoms tomorrow.  The mural they go in is still drying,  I am hoping to have them fired and ready for glass before my husband has colon surgery.   He has to take it easy for a month so I hope I can fire the glass while he is down.     Denice

8 hours ago, Min said:

Some of 75 assorted mini vases for wedding favours, 60 done, 15 more to do.

IMG_2852.jpg.c3458272a3ad35db001bfecd29fec922.jpg

Reminds me of making 125- 2 inch baby vases for a friends wedding. Pro bono deal

felt great when done-one was at every table place setting for each guest.

What's on my workbench? My sister!! She drove up from Virginia. She has been taking some pottery classes in Roanoke. So she loaded her car with greenware (!!) and we bisqued them over the last few days. Now she is glazing her work for the glaze fire. The 05 fire was very lightly loaded with just her items but I have pieces to add for the cone 5 fire, so the kiln will be more balanced and full. She doesn't know I took these pics--I was sneaking around outside the studio (she doesn't like being photographed--opps, too bad!) It has been great fun doing this somewhat "together". 

20190719_203833.jpg

20190719_203850.jpg

It can be nice to have someone work in your studio for awhile.   Once in a while I will clear a work table for my husband so he can work on  a car part in air  conditioned comfort.  He isn't  working with clay but it is still good to be working with him.   Denice

About 5 years before retiring from teaching, I was commissioned to throw 2000 vessels for a religious retreat, the particular even was called "Filling your Vessel". Truth be told I decided to take the job as I needed to improve my skills at throwing off the hump. I would seem to get "s" cracks in everything. By the time I was done, no "s" cracks. They disappeared after about the 300th vessel. Makes life easier today when throwing off the hump.  A lot can be learned from repetitive throwing, even though not changing forms is quite boring, IMPO. 

best,

Pres

Pres I am counting on my  skills improving with  throwing the  70 glass molds I need.    I did some throwing off the hump in college but none of the pieces were ever fired because it was a class throwing exercise.   I  was wondering did you need more compression to end the S cracks?   I enjoyed throwing off the hump but had a hard time with compression.       Denice

On 7/21/2019 at 10:34 AM, Denice said:

I  was wondering did you need more compression to end the S cracks?   I enjoyed throwing off the hump but had a hard time with compression.  

Denice, compression seemed to be the key, but it was not consistently so. I wondered about that, and went to Hamer for research, and then to several other sources before seeing a video of an Asian potter throwing off the hump. He would create a pancake, then raise the pancake edges up into the walls and complete the throwing and the shaping. Why you would ask, but after Hamer, I knew. The pancake caused the walls to wrap in the corner with no particle irregularity. Partly because the walls were pulled outward first allowing compression, then as turned into the side walls the movement from the base to the wall the particles were aligned. Hard to imagine without images, but it does work very well.

best,

Pres

Right now, I've got ten, school mugs, for the new teaching/ support staff for the school year.

A couple years ago, my Art Club made over ninety mugs, for all the staff, in my building.  We gave them to everyone, for National Teacher's Day, but it was actually just part of my larger plan.  I have always wanted to give new teachers a gift, and what better for teachers, than a vessel to hold caffeinated beverages?  Aaaaanyway, I figure if I just started giving them to new teachers, the rest of the staff would feel left out.  So  we had to front load it, and make one for everyone at first.  

The plan works well in theory, as we wouldn't have to make many, after the initial batches, but we've had some steady turnover with retirements and transfers, the last couple years, so we are still making several each year.

This week has been fairly frenetic, I'm prepping for a farmers market next Wednesday, and at the same time researching resinous lustres and experimenting with them.  Made my first batch of straight bismuth lustre yesterday after months of dissecting trade secrets and obfuscated SDS's, reading research papers and books, etc. There's just not a ton of information available on the science of them.  Will be doing my first tests probably tonight to see how close I am, we will see!

As far as throwing, I made a bunch of thrown sponge holders, a bunch of succulent platters, and a bunch of small lidded containers, and need to trim them all and bisque them so I can get a glaze firing in this weekend before the market!

I finally got all of my ducks in a row, formed a business, established marketing materials and bought a canopy and tables.  Only time will tell if it ever pays off!

So my first resinous lustre test was a success!  It was kind of Jerry rigged because I just used stuff I had laying around.  I have actual pine resin on its way, along with silver nitrate and some other metal salts to experiment with.  All I had was bismuth oxynitrate which is the flux, but it gives a grayish sparkly lustre on its own.  Not much to write home about but it fluxed, reduced and bonded to the surface, which is more than I was expecting.  I used frankincense resin, turpentine and lavender essential oil and knew right away it was less than ideal because the frankincense wouldn't melt completely, probably from being a little too old and unrefined. Next round should be gooder!

IMG_20190726_092900-1612x1209.jpg

Edited by liambesaw

1 hour ago, Benzine said:

Best of luck Liam!

Thanks benzine! 

I got a response from a holiday art and crafts show I applied to last month, they said my work was a little too fancy for their show, which is a bummer because it's just down the street from me and on a weekend im not busy.  I'm guessing it's more of a popsicle stick and yarn type of show or something.

Having issues finding holiday shows that I can apply to, besides zapplication what else do you guys use to find shows to do?

Edited by liambesaw

liam, do not know what your goal is but if you want a recipe for a simple Luster glaze,  try this.  20 g each of frit 3134, dolomite, spodumene, ball clay and silica.   the one i have is written for green so add copper carb 6 and zircopax 10.   really good looking green but it flattens out texture.   makes lots of colors also.

36 minutes ago, oldlady said:

liam, do not know what your goal is but if you want a recipe for a simple Luster glaze,  try this.  20 g each of frit 3134, dolomite, spodumene, ball clay and silica.   the one i have is written for green so add copper carb 6 and zircopax 10.   really good looking green but it flattens out texture.   makes lots of colors also.

Resinous lustres are like the bright gold Duncan lustre you can buy for a zillion dollars.  They don't require a reducing atmosphere so can be fired in an electric kiln.  I'm just screwing around but figured they couldn't be too hard to DIY.  I've got the flux and carbon, just need some good metal salts.  I have silver nitrate coming Monday, palladium chloride, iron chloride, copper chloride, copper sulfate, cobalt chloride, etc.  Probably will pick up stannous chloride, zinc acetate and cobalt nitrate next time I'm at the pottery supply place.

Just another thing to experiment with, I can't help but tinker.

My workbench /wheel is now empty after a two week production  run that may have been one of my largest output periods ever. The last two kilns are firing now and the van is about 2/3 full for an upcoming big show. This last two kiln loads has my wall fish and odds and ends in them. I plan on a small ceramic break after the show and do some diving before returning to my remodel for a few weeks in August. I'll get back to clay near end of month for fall shows .

Now packing for a huge show and a dive trip all in same vehicle .

1 hour ago, Mark C. said:

My workbench /wheel is now empty after a two week production  run that may have been one of my largest output periods ever. The last two kilns are firing now and the van is about 2/3 full for an upcoming big show. This last two kiln loads has my wall fish and odds and ends in them. I plan on a small ceramic break after the show and do some diving before returning to my remodel for a few weeks in August. I'll get back to clay near end of month for fall shows .

Now packing for a huge show and a dive trip all in same vehicle .

Can't wait!

Did another test last night, trying to make an iridescent copper lustre.  So close!  Came out a little too red for my taste but wow the depth it adds to the glaze is so beautiful!!  This recipe was bismuth and iron salts, I think an addition of silver salt will tone down the red and add silver bringing it closer to copper.  Hard to capture in photos 

This weekend I'll be bisquing and glazing lidded jars and sponge holders, last load before farmers market on Wednesday.

IMG_20190727_102517-1612x1209.jpg

Edited by liambesaw