What’s on your workbench?

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Pres said:

Glazing today as the weather is clear and sunny. These have been base glazed, and there are 7 more boards like this one, some with honey jars, and teapots.

best,

Pres

P1070025.JPG

That's funny, I have that same amount of mugs waiting for some trimming and handles.  That's what I'll be doing tonight! Pulling handles and trimming.

1 hour ago, Pres said:

These handles are extruded, easier than pulling, but I do miss pulling handles.

best,

Pres

Would love an extruder, just so expensive I cant justify spending the cash on one when I don't do any coil or handbuilding.  Would surely be for handles and test tiles haha.  It's ok, pulling handles is meditative.

Load was in night before last, cut it back to go to bed as it was not reaching temp. . . heat color was around 1900F., Woke yesterday morning early, 4am. Thought it is too early it won't over fire as I had cut it back to 65%. Got up at 7 and checked to find all cones FLAT! Unloading today. First look says someone was looking over me. .. no crawling, no pinholing and the color is muted, but acceptable.  Should have paid more attention as I knew it was firing better after changing a bad element.

Grinding today, and glazing next load.

best,

Pres

I do the same when I bisque, putting anything I can in side or between pots. I box bowls and plates and put smaller pieces between them. I fire pots upside down next to right side up pots to take up as little space in the curves of the forms.

best,

Pres

13 hours ago, LeeU said:

Happy happy--my helper is tackling this backlog (code, sort & store),  which will soon free up my workbench so I can get back to making things! 

20181004_120105sm.jpg

Go ahead and send them my way when they're finished.  I'd post a picture of the mess, but I'm afraid it would cause some of the more organized folks here an aneurysm.

1 hour ago, Pres said:

Just for giggles , and the benefit of sometimes being lucky.

ConePack1.JPG

630teapots9.30.JPG

Cone pack from last firing where I misjudged the rate after installing a new element.

best,

Pres

Beautiful, is that blue flashing or something you did on purpose?

This week my workbench is going to be lidded jars.  Got all my mugs handled and slipped and loaded into the kiln, have enough room for maybe 8 lidded jars.  Threw 4 last night, will try to get another 10 or more tonight and hopefully get enough done this week to do two bisque loads this weekend.  Picked up 40 pounds of propane so I'm set on fuel.

Uhh, no not flashing as I have been putting base glaze on with dip, then sprayed accents using different spray angles of cream rust and variegated blue with an overspray of rutile green.

Rae, I had just made the handle for an article, and decided not to waste, and as I needed cone packs. .. . it seemed natural. Second firing was perfect. I got lucky on the first.

best,

Pres

Unloaded a glaze firing last Friday  and finished a coiled bowl today.   My sister left this morning she and her husband has been visiting for a week so I haven't spent much time in my studio.  They are on another long RV trip planning to be back in Sacramento by Thanksgiving.  Peace and quiet until my son and his wife get home from Europe at the end of the month.    Denice

Learning all about raku work these days. Decided that I'm just going to make things that I really enjoy making. Hopefully I can at least earn my keep at the local studio I am at!

Lots to learn about glazes, firing, fuming, not singing my hair or eyebrows, etc.  Plus I think I'd like to build more kilns - so much fun - my kind of experimenting.

Got some jars and lids thrown, I was going to trim the ones I threw over the weekend but with typical Seattle 95% humidity and a light drizzle, nothing has hardened up one iota.  Not even hard enough to alter the forms or decorate.  Hate this time of year, everything gets put on slow mo.  Gonna try to clear out some shelves so I can at least carefully free up some bats.

IMG_20181008_230914-1008x756_crop_1008x604.jpg