What’s on your workbench?

Which way Ben, the wooden form or the larger extruder. I did make several wooden forms for the HS after the workshop. The worked well, and students used them over the years for soap dishes, fancy boxes and other items. I returned to the HS after I retired, and the new teacher had cleaned house throwing out most of the tools and items she did not believe in or understand. Wooden forms were on, a GG nearly got thrown out before I showed her what it was. Sometimes you wonder. I do not have access to a deep throat band saw anymore, so it would be difficult to make the form. Could do it in pieces with my jig saw and laminate together, but that is a lot of work.

best,

Pres

GEP 

Here is an more detail thread on the soap dishes-I was throwing away photos on my old posts because no one needs to see them anymore due to my over the limit photo files. I have reached my limit again-darn so I found this old post from 2012 on soap dishes-I will wait before throwing out these photos.I'm not happy about throwing photos away on posts that folks can still learn from but seems there is no other way.Or I could stop posting photos-ok rant 4 over tonight

Edited by Mark C.

Here are the three pots I made, glazed using every glaze (^04 commercial) that I could find in my house/studio.  They are in alphabetic order until I ran out, then went searching for more.  

They are slab-built, around 200 mm/8 inches tall.  Biggest things I've made, and all three in one week.  All fired separately, couldn't get more than one in the kiln at a time.

Had some cookie catchers/saucers hanging around so glazed them and put them on the bottom shelf.

20200622_144733.jpg

20200622_145017.jpg

My second attempt at a self-draining soap dish works! Big thanks to Pres for supplying this suggestion:

On 6/16/2020 at 12:15 PM, Pres said:

Mea, throw your old form with and inner wall up. Cut out the center of the inner wall to drain to the bottom lip, but still holding the soap.

Having a wall and a lip as two sort-of separate elements allowed me to cut a channel through the wall, but still have enough clay on the lip to pull and shape a spout. Now it allows the water to slide off, but not the soap!

soap3.jpg.879779e39ba73bb7ec6c9e7220e45b53.jpg

soap4.jpg.a982cb8d1aa4193734d149a4a7f1437a.jpg

soap5.jpg.ab8de7e19c2b94b3b68b3fd9a4ef8afa.jpg

Hi folks, I have been working on some prototypes for pouring chalices. I have sent this image to the customer to see if I am heading in a direction he would accept. There are a variety of shapes, with a continued them of stem and bowl. I am more in favor of the deeper narrower bowls with closer to Golden Mean proportions, but tough to do exactly. All have two pouring spouts on opposites sides. Hoping to get a reply back soon.

PouringChalices2020_Scaled.JPG

best,

Pres

@Pres very cool, looks like a lot of work!  Are these for covid friendly communion services?

I have been working 60 hours a week at my real job, so haven't done a lot.  I did just open a glaze firing this last weekend though with some great stuff inside.  For some reason I've been throwing bottles and putting handles on them.

hO25mWx.jpg5mgyXJt.jpg

Liam, the pouring chalice are indeed for Covid type of services. However, the folks that I have been dealing with are thinking it may become the new normal as we cannot expect things to go on without some form of modification of the communion ceremony to protect individuals.

Actually have considered putting a handle on these pouring chalices, but believe if would detract from the idea.

Like the bottles, nice accent lines. You may want to consider back filling the handles.

best,

Pres

24 minutes ago, Pres said:

Like the bottles, nice accent lines. You may want to consider back filling the handles

That's a good idea, the handles were a total after thought, I had pulled a load of mug handles and didn't want any go to waste so I plopped them on here.  I can't think of any functional use of these, was just for fun.  My wife has been using one as a bud vase.  I made a few syrup bottles similar to this but with a spout, the handles on those look a little better attached :lol:

Edited by liambesaw

Yes @Rae Reich, I like 2 & 7 also. I find that some even though they will work, don't have the feeling of volume that others do.  I have them all loaded into a bisque awaiting final drying of a few pieces. Looking forward to getting some orders out.

best,

Pres

1 minute ago, Pres said:

Yes @Rae Reich, I like 2 & 7 also. I find that some even though they will work, don't have the feeling of volume that others do.  I have them all loaded into a bisque awaiting final drying of a few pieces. Looking forward to getting some orders out.

best,

Pres

That seems odd to me. 2 and 7 look to have more belly - is it the height of the slender ones, do you think?

• 2 weeks later...

This is an exercise in discipline & stick-to-it-ness. I find people want these (herb markers) but they are not my favorite thing to make-the factory mentality is off-putting to me. Antithetical to my  "let's just play slap & tickle with the clay and see what happens" mindset. Just FYI, no I don't open-dry; I have them under sheets of smooth wall tile to keep 'em flat and slow dry them. I'm beginning to develop the patience to be more precise with the stamping & cutting. I'm getting a metal V shape made so I can do the point easily and consistently. Getting better at uniform sizes, tho I honestly don't care if they are not all the same & perfect. Probably should, but I just don't. These are just so "not me" that I am rather pleased with myself for giving it a go. In addition to the artisans shop I am in, I have a second outlet, too--the local feed store, and I know of a third place, a nursery, that is highly probable. I'm changing to a different glaze line (my go-to's are not suitable; these won't work with oil spot or tenmoku :rolleyes:  This batch will get Stroke & Coat--we'll see.  Update 7/23-looked at 'em again today & am fighting hard not to just trash half of 'em, but I know if I do that'll be the dead end of it. Part of the problem is the clay's too soft and I hate waiting for it to firm up before cutting/stamping, so I need to devise an engaging,  constructive distraction while the slab gets itself together. I made up a poem today after cleaning up the studio: Whines and moans, oh my weary bones, the aching back, don't cut me no slack; wedging hurts my wrists, and that leaves me pissed; but onward I will trudge, just need a little nudge. (Maybe I should reactivate the blog on my website & whine & moan there.)

test run--.jpg

Edited by LeeU

lee, cutting the pointed end would be easier with a cookie cutter that you modify for your own use.    i used to make fish, barrels full, and cut the mouth with the top end of a christmas tree cookie cutter that i squeezed into a curve.   the metal ones are easy to cut with a tin snips.