What’s on your workbench?

Nice work!

I never post anything here so here is a sampling of the weekend reduction firing. There are many talented artists at the studio (Clayspace ceramic arts center) that now excel at getting their favorite reduction, Carbon trapping, even ice crackle!

cool stuff and a fun mask almost sans eyeballs. Great group firings, time after time in an old Alpine updraft with some fancy digital stuff hooked to it.

Edited by Bill Kielb

Been making bells for the past few days.  I love the sound of giant bowls when I ting them, so might as well make a big bell and hear it whenever the wind blows!  I have a small wind chime I got at a second hand store, and it sounds really nice, but it's all tinkle tinkle, and I like the bonging and donging of a deeper bell.  Hope it all works out, this is a video of me making my third one.  I am gonna make some more tonight, it's fun.  Probably gonna make a bunch of mugs first though, i need about 20 more mugs for a full mug bisque load.

This week I will be making some three pound fermentation vessels.  I think I need to make a dozen or so jars for my wife and her group of friends.  I'm hoping to also get through 30 mugs this week.

Made a video of me making the fermentation jars, or at least the first exploration of the form, can watch if you are interested in seeing me throw cylinders poorly, haha

IMG_20190420_160538_crop_861x541.jpg

19 minutes ago, Babs said:

Ok must be a different process.

My daughter in law makes fermented vegies , sauerkraut amd a femented drink and needs/uses jars with airlocks to keep out unwanted gremlins but a positive. Pressure may do same.

I guess the water airlock ones burb on their own...

I think it's the same, I make kimchi, sauerkraut and kombucha and they don't need to be air tight, they just need to be covered.  I mean some people are really afraid of a bad ferment,  but ive never had a problem smelling or seeing if something was off!  I think airlocks are just in the interest of extra safety.  

Once lactobacillus takes hold in a lactobacillus ferment (kombucha, kimchi, sauerkraut, etc) or aspergillus in an aspergillus ferment (sake, tempeh, miso, etc), it's really hard for any baddies to get a hold.  

But for miso, a weight is placed on top of the beans to keep them under the liquid (tamari), and this keeps them from being a host for fungi.  So the byproduct of the digested beans kind of acts like the airlock.  Same with kimchi, although it never lasts long enough in my house to grow anything but delicious!

11 hours ago, liambesaw said:

This week I will be making some three pound fermentation vessels.  I think I need to make a dozen or so jars for my wife and her group of friends.  I'm hoping to also get through 30 mugs this week.

Made a video of me making the fermentation jars, or at least the first exploration of the form, can watch if you are interested in seeing me throw cylinders poorly, haha

I like them.

Audio is nicer also and of course no PJ’s a plus. Kudos to mentioning the compression out to in. You are probably only the third person I know to mention it and it has saved countless newbies from the unexplained crack. Food preparation is a bit of science also. This video has made me hungry, go figure.

someone I watched who was a throw to the stick person actually hinged the last two inches of his stick  so when done he could flip it horizontally out of the way. Seemed like an easy good idea.

This week I haven't done anything out in the shed but trim some fermentation jars (and feel guilty about it).  Instead I've been hunched over a computer and camera trying to get everything squared away for my business and website.  I have my photo booth almost all squared away, need to pick up some posterboard tonight and really start photographing everything.  Wish I could just make things and let them disappear on their own, hah.

Anyway, here's a picture.  I was using this mug to dial in my camera and lights.

LRM_EXPORT_644260094415229_20190501_130446962-1536x1025.jpeg

5 hours ago, liambesaw said:

This week I haven't done anything out in the shed but trim some fermentation jars (and feel guilty about it).  Instead I've been hunched over a computer and camera trying to get everything squared away for my business and website.  I have my photo booth almost all squared away, need to pick up some posterboard tonight and really start photographing everything.  Wish I could just make things and let them disappear on their own, hah.

Anyway, here's a picture.  I was using this mug to dial in my camera and lights.

LRM_EXPORT_644260094415229_20190501_130446962-1536x1025.jpeg

Looks good but I would remove the reflection as well and see if you like it

1 hour ago, Bill Kielb said:

Looks good but I would remove the reflection as well and see if you like it

Still tryin to figure that one out.  Got some posterboard to play around with tonight, see if I can't dial the glaring lights back a bit and bend this light around.

1 hour ago, Callie Beller Diesel said:

I made a thing. 

74B9953F-86BE-4FD1-84E0-A74E3EDD60DC.jpeg

Almost looks like a nicely decorated crock pot insert.  Is that a red clay body with wax relief or a white clay body with iron slip.  I like this style of decorating, I need to start doing stuff like this instead of relying entirely on glaze to make it beautiful.