What’s on your workbench?

2 hours ago, shawnhar said:

Iv'e seen tons of deer in our back yard, they've scared the heck out of me walking out to the observatory in the evenings just after dark with a loud "HUFF!". That's OK though, Iv'e snuck up on them and gotten payback. :)

Unloaded the kiln with some mugs and planters, and some of my wife's first experiments with underglaze, I think she's gonna do great!. Sure feels good to have work on the table! Getting ready for a show at the nature center in a few weeks.

Workbench 03.09.19.jpg

Looking good Shawn!  Have you booked your first show yet?  I ruined a kiln load of 40 mugs last weekend which will set me back a bit.  I still need to figure out my branding and set up a website, etc before I even think about selling.  It's all very daunting, wish I could just make pots all day and they'd magically sell themselves haha.

This side will have a dug-out channel going around the sun. The piece is a spinoff from my Excavation series, and incorporates a Hidden Dragonfly when placed  sunny side up.  I was at the potters' guild reception for the Once Upon the Earth show and it pained me to have to deal with the fact that nobody could touch and handle my pieces.   I handle and touch my pieces from the beginning of the process as though I were blind. Their heft and texture is half the point, as with this one that is on the workbench.   3/11 added pics after some carving

20190309_151204.jpg

20190311_130445.jpg

20190311_130654.jpg

Edited by LeeU

3 hours ago, liambesaw said:

Looking good Shawn!  Have you booked your first show yet?  I ruined a kiln load of 40 mugs last weekend which will set me back a bit.  I still need to figure out my branding and set up a website, etc before I even think about selling.  It's all very daunting, wish I could just make pots all day and they'd magically sell themselves haha.

Thanks Liam. I completely ruined my 1st 2 kiln loads of mugs, we should form a biker gang and call it The Mug Killers... :)  We booked a small thing at the nature center on the 7th and applied for a big summer show in the next town over, but no "real" shows yet.  I don't have any branding/website yet either but we did finally decide on a name, that took forever, so now we can start with the other stuff.

There must be something in the air. I ruined a batch of 20 mugs two weeks ago!

@LeeU Cooking spray works great for keeping non-porous stamps from sticking. I had a batch of sprigs to do last year with very fine raised letters and detail in a plastic stamp, and after trying everything I could think of, cooking spray worked beautifully.

Works a charm, test fired it to cone 06 last night, even forgot it was running!  

My main problem with the manual kiln was medium maxed out at 1800, high climbed way too fast.  So to slowly climb the last 200 or so degrees, I had to go out and turn one switch to medium and one to high, and every ten minutes or so flip them to keep the kiln somewhat even.  

Pain. In. The. Booty.

No more!  Everything is gravy now.

Looks nice and clean, just curious if you added the down ramp segment to your base programming as well as the two key to keep unwanted starts from happening?

I will probably add the SSR retrofit to this in about a month or so with early test data for folks to view.

1 minute ago, Bill Kielb said:

Looks nice and clean, just curious if you added the down ramp segment to your base programming as well as the two key to keep unwanted starts from happening?

I will probably add the SSR retrofit to this in about a month or so with early test data for folks to view.

No idea, I just plugged it in, hit fast bisque and chose cone 06.  I haven't dingled with any of the settings yet, I just wanted to make sure all the parts were connected and working, and that there was no immediate fires.

I also was able to get away with only one sheet metal cut on my hand and that is amazing.

Edited by liambesaw

10 minutes ago, Bill Kielb said:

I usually cut mine before I start just as a matter of habit. I take it you relay config and the wiring part went pretty smooth. Nice work!

oh, one last add, how much did you save as diy.

Well the retrofit kit from euclids was 750+shipping.  I got the parts for:

V6cf controller - 280

Relays - 2x 22

Transformer - 22

Housing - 55

Wires and connectors maybe 20 bucks

So saved around 300-350, took me about 3 hours to remove kiln sitter, rewire and put back together.  I was genuinely surprised when I flipped the cutoff switch and the dang thing beeped and turned on.  Was expecting fireworks at the very least!

Was a fun project and highly recommend to anyone with a manual kiln.

Suggestion while you are learning it, maybe set max temp at maybe 2300 (Max in the tech manual I sent),     Maybe cone 71/2  or what you feel is safe as a redundant safety against severe over fire. I think the default is 2400.

Interesting  in that it’s branded as a Euclid control!

12 hours ago, Mark C. said:

How about a Larger paw print-dog folks love the big size.

I added some smaller prints too, don't know what a giant wood paw print stamp would cost me, I'll have to look into it.  I have a larger dog bone cookie cutter I can use on a slab and attach too.

Last night I decided to try to throw a vase, was recording it too, and when I finished I went to hit stop and my phone was dead.  Darn! It was a good one too!

IMG_20190313_084936_crop_604x806.jpg

Just make your own-its easy -you have your dog step into a clay slab-(you place the paw) fire that then press clay into that and its now a stamp after you fire that. It will shrink a tad every time so keep this in mind. You need to turn the negative paw to a positive paw .No need to pay $ for and easy paw prind -heck I have made my cat ones for years and dogs are easier to work with.

6 minutes ago, Mark C. said:

Just make your own-its easy -you have your dog step into a clay slab-(you place the paw) fire that then press clay into that and its now a stamp after you fire that. It will shrink a tad every time so keep this in mind. You need to turn the negative paw to a positive paw .No need to pay $ for and easy paw prind -heck I have made my cat ones for years and dogs are easier to work with.

Hey that's an idea, guess I could just set up all the ones I've thrown on the floor and toss a ball across the room too haha

16 hours ago, shawnhar said:

Planters, went to my nearest garden center after work and got a "test" wholesale order for 30 to see if/what sells, spent 2 hours wedging/throwing and ended up with a dozen. It was a good day tater...

2028070038_planters03_11_19.jpg.9c9327ead1ef8e11823f2f0039071e68.jpg

So what does a wholesale flower pot go for?  That looks like a lot of fun!

He has chinese ones for $20, so I made the deal for 12 each, that's a 60/40 split in my favor. He's gonna buy the original 30 pots and ask 20 for them, set up in a separate space inside with a sign designating them as locally made by a potter to see if people will buy them. He thinks we can up the price a bit if they sell.