Sign in to follow this  
Gabby

Red glaze question

At home I use only commercial glazes in liquid form (typically Amaco but sometimes Laguna) marked non-toxic and food safe, and I brush them on, 3 coats as indicated, then taking them to a kiln at a place whose firing staff I respect. My glazes are marked for cone 5 and pieces always fired at cone 5 as part of a large load of various people's work.

I believe I have read here that it may not actually be prudent, even in these circumstances, to use a red glaze on an eating surface.

Have I misunderstood? 

As a related question, what about a red underglaze, similarly marked, with three coats of clear over it?

Thank you for clarifying.

Edited by Gabby

Others, with more experience & knowledge than I, may have a different response - but I would say if your work is fired to maturity (both glaze and clay), and there is no cross-contamination from other pieces in the kiln, then a food-safe glaze on a food-safe clay is going to be food-safe.  

However - even the "dinnerware safe" glazes you mention have disclaimers that say it's the responsibility of the user to test their finished product to  be certain it's safe...  (Example from one of Amaco's Potters Choice glazes: "Tableware producers must test all finished ware to establish dinnerware status, due to possible variations in firing temperature and contamination.")