Sign in to follow this  
Viking Potter

What do you use to mix your glaze

I went shopping this weekend and bought some appliances at the thrift store  including a hand mixer, a blender, a shake maker and a wand thingy with a propeller on the end.  I also have the obligatory collection of paint stir things for the drill.  I use a variety of stuff on slip etc, but what do you all use to mix glaze?

callie, i have always wondered why some people use a brush with a sieve.  i use a blue kemper rubber kidney and find it works very fast and makes cleaning out the last drop easier because of it's shape.

when i got a sieve with a brush a few years ago, i found washing out the brushes wasted a lot of time and  glaze and it was very slow turning the attached crank.  sold that thing to someone who was happy to get it.  

what advantage do you have with a brush?  inquiring minds want to know.    and so do i.

Over the years I’ve been obliged to have a pretty low tech studio because some spaces I’ve worked in didn’t always have power or running water. Or not enough power: think a garage with only one (awkward to reach!) double outlet and no overhead light. One socket for the wheel, and one for a light source. At the time, a stick blender was a nuisance to use, and I just got quick at using a test sieve. 

The trick is to not mix your glaze too thick initially, and to have the right brush. It should be round, very stiff bristled and flattish. I also find that letting things slake for an hour or two, if not overnight, makes it go much smoother. This also can solve issues with zinc.  

I personally don’t like using a rib to push glaze. It always seeps inside the wrists of my gloves and I wind up with painfully chapped hands.  

When I’m glazing there’s always spoons and mixing bits and buckets and sieves etc to wash. One lousy sieve brush doesn't make a huge difference when I’m washing the rest of the glaze “dishes.” 

Edit: I do have a drill with a mixing bit, but it’s too big for batches under a gallon or two. I tend to get more spatter with it than the sieve, and I hate mopping more than necessary. 

Edited by Callie Beller Diesel
Added.

WOW!  hope your current studio is more comfortable to use.  i have never used a test sieve but their size would make using a rib difficult.    i do mix several glazes dry in large quantities and only wet them when i am going to glaze the next day.   you are right, leaving the wet mixture overnight without touching it makes it easier the next day.

Anyone looking for a good stick blender, I finally found one.  Waring Pro WSB33 commercial grade at only $80 on Amazon.  Went through 3x Cuisinart stick blenders, they all failed at the connection where the shaft detaches for cleaning  (plastic parts inside).  Anyways, this one does not come apart, steel guts inside and haven't been able to kill it yet :) Follow up with small Talisman test sieve.

Larger batches using a drill with paint mixer head (do Jiffy mixers really do that much better???) and follow up with Talisman crank sieve.

Rarely do dry mixing of glaze, it's always inside a lidded container if I do - like an old casting sip gallon  container or 5gal bucket with lid.