Pilot Light Out- Old Cress Kilns

H-Bake

I’ve just gotten up and running with my new-used Cress B23h kiln. I have ran two bisque loads to 06 and last night I got my first collection glazed. I loaded up my kiln with the glazed pieces to fire to come 6. It’s only a small load. I switched it on this morning and left on low for 2 hours and then bumped it up to medium. After about an hour or so the top pilot light went out and I don’t think the top elements are on. I’m wondering if the switch is the problem. When I noticed it was out, I turned the switch a little more and the light flashed on and then off again. Now it won’t turn on at all. The bottom seems to be working fine and the elements were getting red before I shut it down. 

A little back story if it is relavant- when I first go the kiln, I test fired it, empty, and the top infinite switch sparked inside the control cage. I immediately shut the kiln off and unplugged it. I took out the switch and it had obviously been sparking for a while before I got it. I was eager to get my kiln going and I didn’t have any luck finding a switch I could buy in person but I did luck out that the owner of the potter supply place had a used one he sold me. Got home, installed, and have fired 2 bisque loads without any problem. This time when it stopped, it hadn’t gotten even close to as hot as my bisque fires got. 

In my inexperienced opinion, I think it looks like it’s the switch that’s the problem? And not the elements? I have put a call into Cress and am waiting on a response from their technician. At the moment I am also trying to find a new switch to buy online because I think it would be a good thing to have, regardless. I am, however, having trouble finding this particular switch. Which is a inf-240-31b. It is on the Cress parts list so I am hoping I can still order it from them but I saw on Robertshaw that it is discontinued?

Does anyone know of a place to get these switches? Have you experienced something similar? I am so excited to finish firing my first glazed pieces! So any insight you might have, I would greatly appreciate! You guys were great with my other question, so I thought I’d come back and try again  

Thanks!

Archived