Newby Question - use of slip for glazing

Nili

Apologies for the stupid question - I'm very very new to this :)

Can I use slip at the greenware stage instead of glaze for drinking cups/mugs, or will they leak? The reason I'm asking is that I want my mugs to have a very thin matte finish. Maybe there is a better way to achieve that?

Thank you and I'm sorry if the question is too stupid.

Nili

I love a matte finish. There are beautiful matte glazes you can use that fire at Cone 5 or 6. You might look at the Laguna website at theirs. I have several of them.

I also have very matte glazes from Amaco that work better on the outside of mugs and bowls , because they have a course texture, than they do inside.

There are also matte clear glazes you can put over colored slips, if you like your colored slips.

What type of clay are you using, lowfire, or mid or high? Also, do you know how vitrified it gets? (absorption figures from the supplier if you haven't run your own test) I'm assuming you are just talking about using slip on the outside of the cups / mugs?

BTW it's not a stupid question at all! Welcome to the forum :)

chilly has pointed out one of the real drawbacks of matte glazes on interiors.  in addition, cleaning matte interiors, especially with things like coffee and tea, is a real pain.  i have had some matte cups and must use bleach to remove the discoloration.  not a pleasant thing to do.

just fyi, i have a matte glazed commercial dinnerware set made by Mikasa.  you would think they know what they are doing.  not so.  the plates get cutlery marks every time  i use them.  matte glazes are just not worth it.

think about slip.  it is only clay that is extremely wet.  maybe it has color but it is still just clay.

janetjean,  do not think i am criticizing you.    this very complex subject and you are probably used to finding fast answers to any question using a computer.   

if you go to the search on google and enter "define engobe"  you will see several questions after the definition that engobe is a slip.  slip is wet clay.  engobe has a few other things in it.  it is not a glaze.   still does not answer the original question from  Nili.

there seems to be so much confusion about simple terms these days.  there does not seem to be any new reference material to help new people learn the language that potters have been using for a long time.  there are books written years ago, probably before most of you were born, that have glossaries in the back to help new potters make sense of the complex field of ceramics.  these are thick books, some were used as textbooks.  there is a reason they are so thick, there is a lot to learn.   today people seem to think only new info is correct, anything written in 1970 has to be outdated.

rant over.  i am not a grouchy old person who should go somewhere else, just frustrated by the apparent lack of basic information that could be disseminated easily but is not.

perhaps this forum could have a printed out glossary so computer users could find what book readers saw in their textbooks.   maybe one of the real experts in ceramics could prepare something and submit it to CAD.   if they did, would you use it?

2 hours ago, oldlady said:

perhaps this forum could have a printed out glossary so computer users could find what book readers saw in their textbooks.   maybe one of the real experts in ceramics could prepare something and submit it to CAD.   

Here you go: Glossary

MIN!  THANK YOU! 

perfect!  now, how to get it to the place on the forums that people can see at a glance and search at leisure?  maybe its own heading?  or is that too hard to do?  maybe two titles, glossary and dictionary of pottery terms.

Archived