Sign in to follow this  
oldlady

do your best in all things even when you

just finished spraying slip onto a large tray.  did a really dumb thing, knew better and this is the result.

the slip was colored with cerulean mason stain.  does that mean my radio will only play the blues now???:rolleyes:

flowers and spilled slip 005.JPG

Edited by oldlady
photo

I went to the opera the other day.  Philip Glass.  It was (sort of) about Gandhi's life and explored ideas from the Bhagavad Gita.  There's a quote that's stuck with me. 

"Hold pleasure and pain, profit and loss, victory and defeat to be the same: then brace yourself ready for the fight. So will you bring no evil on yourself."

https://www.metopera.org/metupload/Satyagraha_libretto.pdf

If anyone ever wants to commiserate, on Instagram there is an account called Ceramic Casualties.  People post their epic, heart rending and spectacular fails in front of God and Everybody, because what do modern potters do when they screw up? That's right. We post it to the Internet and hashtag it.  Because we are bad@ss.

https://www.instagram.com/ceramic_casualties/

9 hours ago, Sputty said:

Philip Glass recordings - Hope Street Tunnel Blues - 2007

I think you can guarantee that it won't be Big Bill Broonzy.

A friend of mine was at the same performance. He was suitably enthusiastic. One of the (very few) problems with living in darkest rural France is the difficulty in accessing major cultural events. I went to see Philip Glass in the mid-80s at the Albert Hall, shortly after Akhnaten had been released. It was really very good, and formed the sound-track to a lot of my pottery activities for years afterwards.

I thought the production was better than the opera.  Didn't help that there weren't any surtitles and I don't speak Sanskrit.  I might give Glass a go while I'm throwing.

9 hours ago, oldlady said:

HOW CAN PEOPLE DO THOSE THINGS TO THEIR KILNS?????????:o

Yeah, my thoughts too.  All those broken bits - stuff happens.  All those ruined shelves, someone not checking what clay goes into what firing.  Never happened to me.  (Well not more than once anyway, and I did that deliberately to see what would happen.  On an oversized cookie - phweee)

18 hours ago, oldlady said:

callie, thank you, i knew i was the most fortunate person in the world and you just reminded me of that!:P    HOW CAN PEOPLE DO THOSE THINGS TO THEIR KILNS?????????:o

At least you didn't dump 10 gallons of casting slip, like that one guy. 

Last year some poor soul tipped over a Rubbermaid trash bin of an iron saturated glaze in a group studio. Didn't envy that clean up job. 

Edit: I believe the studio pet acting as the "quality control officer" has also been experienced by many.

Edited by Callie Beller Diesel
Added

6 hours ago, Callie Beller Diesel said:

Last year some poor soul tipped over a Rubbermaid trash bin of an iron saturated glaze in a group studio. Didn't envy that clean up job. 

I made some iron saturated glaze a while ago and I still have a stain in my yard from where I spilled some. This was like 3-5 months ago and it just as bright red as the day I spilled it. A friend thought something got murdered in my yard. I can't imagine cleaning up that in a studio. I would just cry.