Clay choices

Hi I am new to clay and throwing and starting out I got Amac oA-11 mix white stoneware clay and while I know I am still learning this clay seems extremely finicky in terms of water and how fast I throw ( beginner, so think more water and slower) . I threw a bowl the other day with a porcelain clay by New Mexico Clay and no problems at all, went home tried the exact same thing that I did in class, clay everywhere!

has anyone used this clay ( Amaco) andany issues you found with it? Thanks for your help

5 hours ago, DBArtworks said:

Hi I am new to clay and throwing and starting out I got Amac oA-11 mix white stoneware clay and while I know I am still learning this clay seems extremely finicky in terms of water and how fast I throw ( beginner, so think more water and slower) . I threw a bowl the other day with a porcelain clay by New Mexico Clay and no problems at all, went home tried the exact same thing that I did in class, clay everywhere!

has anyone used this clay ( Amaco) andany issues you found with it? Thanks for your help

(moved this over from Forum FAQ and Help Topics)

Every clay body is different, even within categories. That is, not all porcelain bodies are the same, not all white stoneware bodies are the same. Every clay company has their own formulas. You'll find a lot of bodies you don't like, and a lot that you do. You just need to keep testing until you find one you like.

• 4 weeks later...

This is a great topic, and one I think lots of people can learn from. The easiest thing to do would be to stick with that one you liked. To go apart from the class, I would start with sourcing local clays first, as apposed to clays that are simply locally available. Some clay manufacturers/distributors can even give you 1lb. samples to test before you commit to a large order. If you are ordering large amounts, some manufacturers will even mix custom clays for you! Read the clay descriptions to help narrow your selections and make sure the clay is going to do what you need it to do and look the way you want it to look. Then, as Neil said, test them out. I also think clays with a narrower firing range work best and I think going to the top of the range yields the best results. So if it is a cone 8-10 clay, fire at cone 10 for best results.

Archived