16 hours ago, neilestrick said:

Are you sure that was a 5.5? That cone would melt out white, not black. I think you had a low fire cone, which will melt to black, and would also explain why it puddled at 1201C.

I'm fairly certain it was a 5.5, but there is a chance that it could have been an 05. Would that be enough of a difference to melt it? 

• 4 weeks later...

Mystery solved! 

As you can see in the image below, the bag is labeled for cone 5.5 cones, while the actual cones in the bag are 05.5 That's kind of a big difference.

I wasn't wearing my reading glasses and just looked at the package when I got the cones out instead of looking at the cones themselves. So, somebody doing the packaging messed up. I wonder how many other bags of these got packaged incorrectly? I suppose I should wear my glasses more. I discovered what happened because I was wearing my glasses today while putting things in the kiln. Ah, the joys of getting older.

Now to get some new cones. Unfortunately, I can't just run to the nearest ceramics supply store and pick some up, since there are no supply stores within a day's drive of me. I'll have to order them. Oh, well, at least now I know.

Bob

5aa0c30619739_IMG_9167copy.JPG.6ae75cfb923e59ed0c05d9ddc2764174.JPG

7 hours ago, neilestrick said:

Mystery solved! As another one who needs reading glasses, I can understand how that could happen. Just remember that only low fire cones are brick red.

This is the first I've ever used cones, so I was unaware that there were different colors for different levels. Live and learn.

Bob

Archived