Show Types-add yours to the list

Well the thread on show types got me thinking the various shows out there.

I have done several types over my 40+ career 

Please add your own show types to the list

Juried Fine art shows

Juried shows-less than fine art

Farmers markets

Pop up shows (US) and Canada

Local events put on my various folks like clubs and organizations

County fairs-rodeos 

City events

Trunk shows

Private sale -like a studio sale or like my own xmas sale in a shopping center

Studio Sales-varoius types-art tours-open studios

Well, that is already a pretty comprehensive list! 

This may not count, because I never made a  take-home dime, but  in another state (long ago and far away) I have had very modest shows, always with other participants, to support art-oriented fundraising events for certain agencies.  For me, the selected  causes were addiction, HIV/AIDS, and domestic violence shelter programs--just "my thing"--to  use art as a channel for generating donations to community-based, under-funded, non-profit public service organizations.  These shows have been held in churches, community centers,  colleges, small art galleries,  and hotel ball rooms (space donated to the agencies doing the fund drive). 

Also put together a show once to benefit a great summer camp in W. Virginia, where I was the ceramics instructor, for free,  in exchange for my daughter being able to go to the camp.  In addition to some of my stuff, and some other potters' donated work,  the kids made various types of clay art and the parents scooped it up for "big bucks", to help keep the camp going-it was a blast.  

Guild events/shows. Here in PA, often the Craftsman's guilds will put on shows. Sometimes these are themed like the Christmas/Valentines/Spring etc, but then again at times they are just on the calendar to not have conflicts with other events. I have also participated in silent auctions where a 50/50 was done to raise money for the host charity organization.

best,

Pres 

• 1 month later...

Ah. This brings up memories of a certain art fair in Eureka on the Woodley Island Marina, CA. Would have been about 1990-ish? I had several amateurish shrink-wrapped drawings wired to my A-frame chickenwire stands, wired because there was a strong gusting wind. They were tipping over like sails despite rocks, concrete blocks, etc. I was the only person who didn't actually lose work due to the wind blowing stuff off the shelves or the stands crashing over. John Wesa (that watercolorist who does a lot of misty landscape prints in the area) was a couple stands down from me, he lost $300 worth of glass on some of his frames, and the potter right next to me (maybe it was you, Mark) said he lost at least $400 bucks worth of work. Everyone cringed as bowls hit the concrete. I got a lot of scratches on my plastic covered colored pencil stuff, but hey.

In between ne're do well teenagers were walking around trying to sell presumably stolen merchandise out of a suitcase. Afterwards I got an earache from sitting in the wind all day. The year after that they moved the art fair (can't remember it's name, it was always in July, maybe still is) from the Marina to elsewhere, but I'd lost my taste for fairs. I've done two since then, both were miserable, at least for me!   

Never done a show on Woodly Island show or have even heard of one?

I did the 4th of July show in Eureka 1972 or 3? until 1996  it was always on 2,nd street downtown.The only other Eureka show  I did was the inside one at xmas  time called The Humboldt Artisan fair. 1980-1992. Then I switched to Tempe Az show on same weekend (1st weekend in December) for the next 24 years-Retired from  that show in 2016.

The Eureka  art market was always softer than other areas.

• 2 months later...

City of Orange started a Street Fair in our traffic circle in the 70's that was primarily crafts with a few local groups selling specialty food. It went pretty well for the first few years, but gradually accumulated lots more "international food" and beer booths. Impossible for folks to put down their eats and beers to pick up a pot (and you know that the touching = the selling).  I miss the old fair. 

Fine Arts Gallery - I was "adopted" by the owner of a gallery who displayed my work alongside oil paintings on antique tables and sideboards, until she died. Bless Arvilla Hunney <3. She got astounding prices for me.

Archived