L&L Kiln - E22 & 26 Error Codes

So I replaced my TCs about a month or two ago and I had no problems. I fired probably 5-6 times since I replaced them. However a few weeks ago I turned on my kiln and had an e-22, that flashed between that and e-26. I thought it was just because it was cold (45F)in my garage, so I heated up my garage with a heater and the error went away. So I thought it was just a cold problem, although in all the previous years I have never had this issue with even colder nights.

Well, I went out there today to run a firing and it is probably 60F in my garage because of the crazy warm weather today. I am now getting the same error codes again. I did all the steps on L&L's website for the E-22. 

As here: http://hotkilns.com/how-fix-e-22-or-e-6-error-code-dynatrol

I checked everything and redid all the TC connections just to be sure. Error still persist.

When I check TC 1 and TC 2 temp it reads -106. 

One thing I will note is that it flashes E-22, then E-26 and stays on E-26.

E-26 from this link: http://hotkilns.com/error-codes

Says the following: E- 26 (E-26, Er26, E26): a2d (analog to digital conversion) not working properly/problem- try again or replace the board.

Any ideas? I have checked all the wiring and everything looks great. All the numbers match and everything is as it should be.

I am guessing for some reason my board is dead? I haven't had any power surges or anything. 

I have an email into L&L, but it is the holiday season, I am guessing I might not hear back for a while. So I thought I would post my question here just in case anyone has any clues. My 3-year warranty ran out this year, so might be an expensive fix. If I need a new controller I might just get the digital one. 

I am thinking at this point that I should just get the Bartlett controller for $329. https://www.bartinst.com/kilns/31

Seems to make much more sense to spend $80 more and get the upgraded controller. I will have to investigate how all this works. I am not sure if L&L sells them or if I have to buy from Bartlett.

12 minutes ago, Joseph F said:

I am thinking at this point that I should just get the Bartlett controller for $329. https://www.bartinst.com/kilns/31

Seems to make much more sense to spend $80 more and get the upgraded controller. I will have to investigate how all this works. I am not sure if L&L sells them or if I have to buy from Bartlett.

I'm surprised that your board went bad. It's not a common thing. How old is it/ how many firings?

L&L sells them. See if they'll give you the 20% discount if you get the Genesis.

I am surprised as well. Only 290 firings. I have only had the kiln since June 2014. So it is past the warranty. 

I can't imagine all of the sudden my TC wires randomly go backwards. I have fired it 5-6 times with good results since I changed my TCs. So unless I have a kiln goblin messing with me, I think it has to be the board at this point. I asked them about the new controller in my reply, but I haven't gotten a response from them yet.

Thanks.

I have been emailing back and forth with L&L. I can't read apparently. I thought the 20% discount was on returning. It is a RESTOCKING fee. lol. :wub:

However, they do have refurbished genesis controllers for $165. He said they were tested and set up there at his factory so they leave working fine. I think this is what I am probably going to go for. Seems like a great deal. I get to upgrade and replace the old one for cheaper than a newer old one, of course, it is a refurb, but if it's working when it leaves I can't see it being in any worse shape than a new one usually. Thoughts?

21 minutes ago, Dick White said:

Get the refurb Genesis. You're paying half what I paid for mine directly from Barlett. I wonder if they will sell me a refurb, I have 2 other kilns that could use an upgrade at half price...

I decided to go with it. Going to place the order tomorrow. I guess it all worked out okay after all. Although I have no real problems with the current controller. I am excited about the features of the genesis. Mostly the wifi updates, the phone software, and being able to name my dang programs. I have to look at notes to remember which one is which, or go through them all manually. Bleh.

• 3 weeks later...

Just for completion, I wanted to update the forum post for future people who have the same error. I installed my refurb genesis controller today and my TC's are reading fine. Although they seem a bit warm to me. 76F in my kiln apparently. I haven't adjusted anything yet as I will be doing the firings with cones to verify cone 6 and offsets like I did after element changes. I assume it will need similar offsets. 

I am pretty happy with the controller. It is much nicer being able to see the entire program in front of you when your building it. I also like the wifi and I am going to get the app installed on my phone and stuff. So overall I am pretty darn excited and glad my kiln is back in operation.  I won't be firing much until it warms up though. 

Anywho, thanks to everyone for all your help. 

• 1 year later...

Well, Joseph, seems like you are destined to be my mentor when things go wrong. I was looking for info on that error code E-26 and found this thread.  You were in my thread 6 months ago when I had an explosion.  So I have had my kiln, Cone Art 22" electric w/a Bartlett V6-CF Series 700 controller since May of 2018. Fired only 6 times, bisque only. As it was coming down at about 600 degrees I got the E-26/E-22. I KNOW the board is dead because the TCs did not switch by themselves.  JUST read in the Cone Art manual that the warranty is 2 years!!!!! Oh please say they mean it. But it's Labor Day weekend, now gotta wait......my life is nothing but waiting with all this ceramic stuff......I'll go paint for the rest of the weekend.

8 hours ago, MollyMac said:

Well, Joseph, seems like you are destined to be my mentor when things go wrong. I was looking for info on that error code E-26 and found this thread.  You were in my thread 6 months ago when I had an explosion.  So I have had my kiln, Cone Art 22" electric w/a Bartlett V6-CF Series 700 controller since May of 2018. Fired only 6 times, bisque only. As it was coming down at about 600 degrees I got the E-26/E-22. I KNOW the board is dead because the TCs did not switch by themselves.  JUST read in the Cone Art manual that the warranty is 2 years!!!!! Oh please say they mean it. But it's Labor Day weekend, now gotta wait......my life is nothing but waiting with all this ceramic stuff......I'll go paint for the rest of the weekend.

This is interesting first you have the error and now @Joseph Fireborn an analog to digital conversion usually takes place on a chip and is a simple basic function. This may be a defective lot of chips, boards, hmmm interesting. To have a designated error code for such a low level basic function seems odd I hope the warrantees work out for all and this is not a trend or a design or production flaw.

1 hour ago, Bill Kielb said:

This is interesting first you have the error and now @Joseph Fireborn an analog to digital conversion usually takes place on a chip and is a simple basic function. This may be a defective lot of chips, boards, hmmm interesting. To have a designated error code for such a low level basic function seems odd I hope the warrantees work out for all and this is not a trend or a design or production flaw.

Joseph's post was 20  months ago. Probably just random issues.

Archived