NCECA

Ron:

i enjoyed attending NCECA in KC back in 2016. Lots to look at and take in. I did notice a mass gathering at the bar in the evening, with lots of pottery talk. I went specifically to meet with Ron Roy, but also had the pleasure of talking with Marcia Selsor and a few others. Spent several hours talking with an old wood firer from Maine: who was every bit as obsessed with wood firing as I am with clay. I had to bug out early because of business meetings; but wish I could have gotten in another day. If you can go, do it!!!! 

Ron: think I better give you a heads up before you go.

1. When talking with potters at NCECA; when their eyes start glazing over when talking pottery: move away slowly. You are about to hear either very detailed explanation of their last firing or favorite glaze recipe.

2. Potters with white name tags only mean they have been cooking clay for over 30 years. 

3. Leave your bill fold and credit cards at home: you could easily spend more than you make.

4. The old pottery guys who have been firing for decades all have beards...right Fred?

5. Those with no sense of humor should not read this post.

This is why I shave my beard. I don't want to give anyone any false impressions. I keep it close and stubble, to represent my rookie ness.   And I keep mine clean shaven so that no one figures I know anything. . . that way I can sit/stand and just listen.

best,

Pres

4 hours ago, glazenerd said:

Ron: think I better give you a heads up before you go.

1. When talking with potters at NCECA; when their eyes start glazing over when talking pottery: move away slowly. You are about to hear either very detailed explanation of their last firing or favorite glaze recipe.

2. Potters with white name tags only mean they have been cooking clay for over 30 years. 

3. Leave your bill fold and credit cards at home: you could easily spend more than you make.

4. The old pottery guys who have been firing for decades all have beards...right Fred?

5. Those with no sense of humor should not read this post.

This sounds just like the woodturning symposiums I've been to, even the bar where the best information is shared.

My wife gave the green light for the both of us

There are numbers of vendors that you will spend more than you want. . . maybe.  Year before last I bought a diamond sanding disc and a masonite bat to glue it to, along with 3 diamond sponge backed sanding pads.. . really love them. This year I may buy a diamond drill for opening up over-glazed holes. Presentations and demonstrations, shows, and so much else. Should be a good time.

best,

Pres

I love the energy at NCECA and the excitement. Lots of pottery nerds, Maybe you'll meet Jon Singer, and he'll expose his test tiles. he's ALWAYS carrying...

There are too many exhibitions to possibly see.

Talking with others is the most fun. Dropping in on the Makers Rooms, the big demos, the lectures, the special group discussions. etc. Good idea to mark up the program with your top choices.

Major draw is the trade show exhibition Hall where there are 6 or more galleries, many clay distributors, tools galore, demos, the Potters Council show, Workshop venues, Schools and universities and other non-profits. It takes weeks to decompress. I see some familiar faces in the program including John Baymore and some of my friends and fellow symposium colleagues years past.

Marcia

Sorry, Marcia, but folks will be looking for the ICAN display as that is the new name and direction for Potters Council.

Myself I will be hanging out at the ICAN booth, trying to snag some more diamond tools, some rollers, cutting wire replacements and other odds and ends, not that I NEED anything.

best,

Pres

will there be a coffee hour for CAD people sometime during the conference?   and by CAD people I mean all of us here on the forums who are interacting almost daily for the other 50 weeks of the year.

Might be interesting to run a poll (can we do that on these forums I forget) to see how many people on these forums will be there to see if it is worth it...

pres, save your cutting wire money and buy a diamond something with what you save.  your local walmart has fishing gear including leader wires.  a pack of 6 is only a tiny amount of $.  then, on to your local hardware store for a pair of key rings, the kind of split circles to slip keys onto.  walmart wants 99 cents each and your local real hardware store wants 25 cents each.  combine the two and you can get the correct length wire for cutting off pots, slicing off pieces from a brand new box of clay or whatever else you want.  the wire is very strong and the ring goes over any handy nail.

personally, i think the worst designed pottery tool is the silly long wire with wooden dowel handles.  cannot get it out of the package without kinking the wire and it is ridiculously long for its intended use.  leader wires come in various lengths, 9 and 12 inches are my favorites.

Guest JBaymore
On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 6:17 PM, RonSa said:

........... even the bar where the best information is shared.

This is SO true!

best,

................................john

Guest JBaymore
12 hours ago, curt said:

will there be a coffee hour for CAD people sometime during the conference?   and by CAD people I mean all of us here on the forums who are interacting almost daily for the other 50 weeks of the year.

Might be interesting to run a poll (can we do that on these forums I forget) to see how many people on these forums will be there to see if it is worth it...

Interesting idea.  CLAYART did this idea for YEARS, and still does.  For a long the, the main "Head Moderator ans eventually owner of the list, mel,  paid for a room in the main hotel to "host" the location. 

best,

.........................john

I guess it doesn’t really matter where it is (even piggybacking on some other group’s coffee hour! ) as long as there is a specific place and time, and people wearing name tags.   Would also say if it was part of someone else’s coffee hour and it was a big venue (cause some of those rooms were really big, with hundreds of people in them) , would help to know which PART of that venue forum members were going to be congregating in.

LOL in Kansas City, Marcia and I were at the same pre-conference for days helping fire two kilns which were side by side, but we never actually met until days later at the main conference hotel bar almost coincidentally via mutual acquaintances!  To be fair it was a form of controlled chaos at those kilns (4 at once firing over several days!), so maybe that is not surprising.   For all I know there were probably several forum members around me at every moment but unless you know them by their real names (as opposed to their “handle” on the forums, you are none the wiser!  Lol.

And I am guessing that although many people from these forums were in Kansas City for NCECA, I did not meet more than a couple of them.  Again, maybe not surprising at a conference with 8000 (?) people, but it does highlight that unless you specifically organise to meet people, at an event of that size and geographical footprint, it is highly likely you will not run in to them, especially if you do not know them in the first place.  If you are lucky you might glimpse a name tag as people run from session to session...

I am betting none of this is an issue for NCECA veterans, but for NCECA newbies like me it is something to think about it.

Archived