QothW: What studio tool under $100 was your best purchase?

My best purchase was the Northstar Univesal Bat system.  It's a large bat with smaller, 6 inch inserts.  The set cost less than $50.  I was surprised how many things I made fit on the smaller bat inserts and took up so much less space when left to firm up on the smaller bats.

It seems like potters get pretty tool oriented.  I remember how at NCECA whenever a workshop demo leader mentioned a specific tool there would be a mad rush to buy it at the vendor's booth.  

Well, I've mulled this over for 4 days now. Nothing popped immediately into my head when I first mulled it over. The more I thought about my tools, the more I realized how many I have that cost so very little.  Most are not  studio tools, having come from thrift ships, hardware stores, antique/collectable shops, the dentist's office, dollar stores, kitchen stores, and side-of-the-road discards. I especially appreciate my Dremel set and my wooden Indian stamps.  I also have made-for-clay studio work tools, but nothing that excites me to no end and is an under-$100 purchase.  The way I work is very loosey-goosey.  I like organically cutting, folding,  leaving maker's marks,  stamping clay, pinching, incising, and hand-forming,  and upon reflection realized I actually don't use many clay tools at all. 

• Pres unpinned this topic
On 11/17/2017 at 3:13 PM, LeeU said:

Well, I've mulled this over for 4 days now. Nothing popped immediately into my head when I first mulled it over. The more I thought about my tools, the more I realized how many I have that cost so very little.  Most are not  studio tools, having come from thrift ships, hardware stores, antique/collectable shops, the dentist's office, dollar stores, kitchen stores, and side-of-the-road discards. I especially appreciate my Dremel set and my wooden Indian stamps.  I also have made-for-clay studio work tools, but nothing that excites me to no end and is an under-$100 purchase.  The way I work is very loosey-goosey.  I like organically cutting, folding,  leaving maker's marks,  stamping clay, pinching, incising, and hand-forming,  and upon reflection realized I actually don't use many clay tools at all. 

I wanted to add something but thinking a bit I've come to a similar conclusion.

I have a nice white, mud tool sponge i like though.

Maybe 'found'  tools is a good qotw.

Archived