QothW: Do you resist in any way?

1 hour ago, Judith B said:

Is anyone here trying to have a social or political stance through their work? Or is it something that is not part of the picture?

@Judith B

I think I will eventually employ my social stance in my work. But I am not good enough yet. One of the reasons I have been testing gold decals. I plan on eventually having political and social stance decals that I drew myself on my work. But it will be years before I employ them.

well Pres and Marcia, it's maybe a given that your responses will be liked!

I do use paper, latex and wax resists and I guess texture.so only the high bits get caught by new colour application

never used shellac, what's involved with that?

I do resist getting drawn into the is it art or craft debate..

I've found some links describing the pottery easel in an earlier photograph.  It seems that people have them made.  Here's a link with lots of photos and dimensions:

http://www.nanhamilton.com/howtodesign/frame/frame.html

Here are some secondary links, refrencing that first one

http://joannaxfordpottery.blogspot.co.uk/2011/05/potter-easel.html

http://overglaze.demaine.org/?page_id=418

• Pres unpinned this topic
On 10/12/2017 at 2:23 PM, hantremmer said:

I've found some links describing the pottery easel in an earlier photograph.  It seems that people have them made.  Here's a link with lots of photos and dimensions:

http://www.nanhamilton.com/howtodesign/frame/frame.html

Here are some secondary links, refrencing that first one

http://joannaxfordpottery.blogspot.co.uk/2011/05/potter-easel.html

http://overglaze.demaine.org/?page_id=418

Thanks! That answers a lot of questions. Just one more area of concern - is the turntable free-turning (having trouble figuring out how) or does one have to release the top to turn it? Can it be turned without touching the pot? Or having the pot fall out (eeek)? 

I think this could be used for carving too with the technique used for the mug. Insert a taller cylinder (I'm thinking pvc, but custom sizes could be thrown and bisqued) into the piece to be held. 

On resists, I'm still using water-based resist. I like to add oxides or stains for different effects. Especially with iron ox and cobalt carb, the resist allows the colorant to be applied evenly. 

On 10/11/2017 at 9:47 AM, Benzine said:

Marcia, 

I figured, that it was some type of prop/ support, for decorating.  That seems incredibly handy.  Is that something you built, or purchased somewhere?

benzine and anyone else interested in this device.  i have one that a carpenter made for me when i showed him the ad in a ceramics monthly issue.  if you would like a close-up of the details of it, let me know and i will send you a photo or six.

Why in the world would you want to politicize your pottery? There is so much of that crap in the world. I look at pottery and art as an escape from the goofiness of the world. Drinking coffee from a handmade mug instead of reading or seeing something political on the mug I would rather enjoy the texture or colors.

So, yes I resist to get political in my art, making it or enjoying it.

16 hours ago, dhPotter said:

Why in the world would you want to politicize your pottery? There is so much of that crap in the world. I look at pottery and art as an escape from the goofiness of the world. Drinking coffee from a handmade mug instead of reading or seeing something political on the mug I would rather enjoy the texture or colors.

So, yes I resist to get political in my art, making it or enjoying it.

I never politicized pottery..I.e. mugs. I made sculpture. This piece addresses humankind’s taking from the earth. it is rather none offensive except I made it in Uzbekistan where they still chop off hands for stealing. “Up for Grabs” 1992

391F691C-23FA-4D7E-9792-945F93C59158.jpeg

Marcia gave an excellent reason why we try not to include politics here on the forum. It seems to divide, and at the same time, is this the place? I would much rather find the common ground we have in materials, processes, techniques and a very long deep history of providing things of beauty that can be functional, decorative or sculptural. We as potters have much more in common than politics can provide us.

Of course this is my opinion, but I believe all of the mods feel the same.

best,

Pres

The focus should be on ceramics. If you want to put politics in your work, by all means do it. But I have been a part of many forums over the years and ones that allowed any type of discussion that was off topic only led to angry mob mentality. Eventually the forum would die off as people didn't respond to peoples questions or problems they didn't like because of personal grudges. This led to less discussions, which led to less activity, and as you can imagine less posting. 

I am glad we only talk about ceramics, it makes CAD a better place.

AH sorry I had no idea about this rule but it makes sense reading all your comments. I thought it was interesting how the world of the handmade interacts with other spheres of our lives, especially through events and charities or donations that carry some special meaning.

Marcia, your sculpture is very powerful!

I use wax for resisting glaze on footed forms (hand waxing) and hot dip paraffin for flat bottom forms. I also use latex resit for glaze resist work mostly for black and copper red glazed pots. I paint the latex on dip or pour the black-peel the latex and brush red in that space.

I like to resist stupidity -seems its starting to spread on a larger scale nowadays -nuff said on that.

On 10/21/2017 at 4:20 PM, Judith B said:

AH sorry I had no idea about this rule but it makes sense reading all your comments. I thought it was interesting how the world of the handmade interacts with other spheres of our lives, especially through events and charities or donations that carry some special meaning.

Marcia, your sculpture is very powerful!

Thanks, Judith. 

It was exhibited at the Uzbek Artists' Union Hall in Tashkent in 1993. I made another stateside and it sold at a fundraiser.

I have done several political commentaries and written about the venue.  Others may be too touchy to discuss here.

Marcia

On 10/10/2017 at 5:52 PM, Pres said:

Yes, great examples make for great teaching, and Marcia your Majolica rig has been in pictures before here, has it not? Either that or I saw a similar rig somewhere else. Either way, if I had not seen it before, I would have wondered like Ben.  On teaching, I was taught in my undergrad school not to do work in front of students, as that was grandstanding. However, as I seasoned, I realized that doing work in front of students even though not as a demonstration did many things for my teaching, an example of problem solving, completion of a process from a to z, reputation in that I did not just teach. Others also, but in the end more positives than negative. Especially if I never was so involved I didn't do job 1-Teach.

best,

Pres

I got this potters easel at NCECA from Scott Creek before he sold to a larger distributor. He extruder design was really good. The easel doesn't seem to have gone into production with the distributors purchase.  It is a simple structure. I can post details to copy.

Marcia

Archived