QothW: Which is worse: Four days on the beach in the sunshine or Four days at Potter's camp in the rain.

Chilly asked in the question pool:

Which is worse: Four days on the beach in the sunshine or Four days at Potter's camp in the rain.

Interesting question for me, considering a couple of things. . . first off, I burn like fat wood when in the sun, red as a beet, blisters the whole nine. Use sunscreen it seems to be gone in minutes. Over the years the beach has been terrible for me. After the first two years of marriage where Summer vacation was the beach in NJ, I talked my wife into trying camping. We had and old canvas tent of my grand dads, borrowed stove, and an air mattress. It rained a lot, but we had a great time and ever since we camped mostly all over the east coast all the way up to Newfoundland and down to Florida, all in the Summer, no beaches thank you. So a camp for pottery even though raining, all for it, give me another two weeks for things to dry, or keep the heat up with lots of kiln heat like we used to have at PSU in my grad days. Throw in shorts or whatever:o

best,

Pres

Time on a beach for me is a rare treat, it doesn't happen too often and I love to walk for hours looking for shells and "treasures" the tide leaves for one to find.  The little birds that chase the waves hunting for food are fun to watch.  I have never been to a pottery camp so I don't have a basis for comparison, but I do historic re-enactments for a hobby (pre-1840 fur trade era) and camping in the rain has it's own nice moments, but too much rain and you are in muck, muddy, and cold; not to mention the campfire you rely on to cook your food is hard to start and keep going.   I never used to mind the rain at my events when I was younger, but I am not a spring chicken anymore.

I know if I want to fire my barrels I can't do it in the rain.  If you are exposed to the rain and don't have shelter to get out of the elements I can't see how it would be any fun or see how any kind of work could be accomplished.    I guess it boils down to how the question is worded, "in the sunshine or in the rain". 

I would have to take the beach in this case.   Four days "in the rain" at a potter's camp doesn't sound fun or productive.

Couldn't do either one, can't be in the heat for long because of my MS and it would drive me crazy to be unable to get work done because of the rain.    My idea of a vacation is staying in a historic hotel in the old town district.  Restaurants, bars and shopping within walking distance, do touristy things during the day and party at night.  Denice

How about potters braving a 'Hurricane  workshop'?

Last week I taught a workshop in Atlanta ... believe me, we all had our eyes on the weather channel.

Monday ... potters were the only ones who did not even consider cancelling  their class ... all the other workshops did. ( Yeah potters!!!) We had to bail at three o'clock because debris was starting to fly in most areas of Atlanta and opinions were that we should go home. Some took their colored clay back to their hotels.

Tuesday ... power is off at The Spruill Center for the Arts but the doors were open, Ken was welcoming us in ... we raise all the blinds in the room to let in max light ... and we are off.

Hurricane-Workshop-web.jpg.c30512ed8fb3c372a54890461fc64735.jpg

Power came back on around one and all was fine for the rest of the week.

The-lights-come-on!-web.jpg.bfec8791a94b03c1180d20b561d4850b.jpg

I'd do both and take an appropriate umbrella to each.    We're only talking about 8 days.  

For someone who lives in the middle of the country, time at the beach building sandcastles is rare. 

Workshops on topics I want to experiment with that are within reasonable driving distance from my home are also rare.

I remember a few years ago driving to a clay conference in NC through a freezing rain. . . 1/2 of sleet on the road, and trees with the same the next morning. The hotel didn't have power to check me in, slept on a couch in the lobby until early morning, then my room. Electric was scarce, but boy did I have a great time. Saw Chris Campbell there, and others.

best,

Pres

• Pres unpinned this topic

Archived