Hi, 

After my graduation I bought a new gas kiln, Rohde TG80 top loading gas kiln downdraft. I have done one test firing but got a bit insecure so I wish to double check. My kiln is fired with Propane. My firing schedule was 200 C/h till 900, then went into reduction till around 1212 C/h after which I failed to keep it in reduction because i started to play to much. Top temperature wa around 1280C. Everything I fire is porcelain unglazed. The top part of the kiln seems ok reduced (not as strong as I wished), but the bottom part not and also lower in temperature. 

I have read quite some online information and also fired different gas kilns manually before, but not the same as this one. I read different stories about the flames from a reduction firing. Some say orange licking flame is great. But I learned before that a blueish rocket like flame with a bit of orange from the peephole was good as well. I'm a bit confused now. 

I would like to ask if anyone would like to share some tips and tricks? It would be very helpful. Thank you very much

Thank you very much for your advice. That would be great but unfortunately there is no one near who I could share with, thats why I'm asking on the forum if someone could recommend me some good resources. I have fired multiple times in a gas kiln, but lately that was automatic reduction so I lost a bit the feel. 

If firing unglazed porcelain, do you really need to fire reduction? The colour difference can be very small (a warm hue, vs cool) and it might save you fuel.

The people I know who fire unglazed porcelain do so for ceramic doll parts (hands, feet, heads) and do so in electric, which is as oxidizing as it gets.

Hi Tyler, 

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I do need to fire this porcelain in reduction otherwise I'm getting a yellow porcelain. For the work I'm doing I tried all the porcelains available in european market but only this porcelain acts the way I wish in the creation process, except when firing in oxidation it becomes yellow. Therefore I do it in reduction to get a more blueish tone. It might be a subtle difference but I feel subtlety is important to certain type of works. Especially when it is exhibited with other works of porcelain who are more of a white tone, the yellow becomes more obvious. 

I learned to fire gas reduction in Japan but it seems to be bit different handling my kiln here. 

Those little top loading gas kilns are notorious for firing unevenly in temperature and reduction, and every one seems to fire differently. Do some searching here on the forum and you'll find some recommendations on how to make it fire better. Those are touchy little kilns.

Archived