Moon Jars - What Are The Rules To The Form?

Neil, I may be such a purist, but I really don't care for the bottom one. Looks like to me the bottom third never got included into the form as the top third never got inflated enough. Too many discrepancies to fit the idea of Moon Jar.

best,

Pres

Neil, I may be such a purist, but I really don't care for the bottom one. Looks like to me the bottom third never got included into the form as the top third never got inflated enough. Too many discrepancies to fit the idea of Moon Jar.

best,

Pres

I prefer the top one, too, but it seems that this level of wonkiness is common in moon jars.

Keep going. I saw your post on instagram. I too saw the plumbers flange as a support for the rim. I thought is very ingenious I have never tried it though. I personally like when the rim and foot are relatively the same size. When I have thrown this form I leave a lot of clay at the bottom and an inch or more to trim so I have a nice foot and good lift on the pot to match the hardy rim. When making pots with a large belly I purposely leave the wall thicker in the middle to belly out later. I also use the assistance of a torch or heat gun. good luck.

I read the PMI article about using the pipe fittings, and being a cheap SOB, decided I could do the same for free. Get a large plastic soft drink cup (7-11 Big Gulp or similar) or a plastic food container that has a mouth just big enough to comfortably slip your hand through, and which has a rolled over edge for a rim. Cut the rim off the cup about 1/2" down, being careful to not damage the rim. It may take several successive cuts, first with a knife to cut a larger piece off the cup, and then scissors cutting around and around until you have a plastic ring. Smooth up the bottom cut edge with some sandpaper.

Now throw a tall cylinder, the top of which has an inside dimension that exactly fits the plastic cup rim ring. Slip the ring down into the cylinder and gently collar it tight onto the ring. Now you have a strong support to keep the rim of your cylinder perfectly circular while you belly it out into the moon jar form. Use your heat gun/torch/etc. or not as you wish. When the form is basically complete, gently lift the cup ring out of the cylinder, or if necessary, use a needle tool to cut just enough of the rim to remove the ring. Now finish the rim as desired.

• 2 weeks later...

I have attached the two moon jars I fired in my kiln this weekend. I tried to stay true to the white color. I like them both, although I need to get much better at throwing them. I like the ridge marks, which is something I usually dont like in my work. Anyways, I just wanted to finish the series of the jars I posted for people who were interested in the full journey. Thanks for all the hints and comments. I am going to keep making these. They are pretty enjoyable to make and require a lot of thought to throw well. 

IMG_20170904_202834_e (Copy).jpg

IMG_20170904_202742_e (Copy).jpg

On 8/23/2017 at 7:17 PM, Joseph F said:

Thanks oldlady. I enjoyed making them which made it even more rewarding. When I get some good ones glazed I'll update here.

I might try using a blow dryer next time. I think I need to leave the bottom thicker and trim away some. I cut the last one I made in half and it was really even and I started thinking that I should probably leave more on the bottom and trim it round but not sure if that's right or wrong.

Now that you mention this, Joseph, I have found that when I am doing very wide round forms of any kind, I leave quite a bit of extra clay at the base to trim off so it's better supported. That really helps. 

10 hours ago, Judith B said:

They're both really nice! How big are they once fired?

I like the proportions of the first one

Thanks.

The one with black slip(1st one) is about 8 inches tall. The second one is about 9.5 inches. They are not very big. These were the smaller ones. I still haven't fired the bigger one.  I wanted to start small and move into larger ones. Hopefully I will make some more today if I find time. I have to put handles on the 25 mugs I made yesterday and decorate all the bud vases I made as well. 

Archived