Please Help: Porcelain Dries Unevenly Before I Can Trim

Hello, I hope someone can help me: 

I use Standard Porcelain 365 for Cone 6 to throw mugs off the hump. Part of the nature of throwing off the hump is that there is a thick wad of clay at the bottom that I need to trim.

The problem is that the rim of the mugs dry out well before the bottoms are dry enough to trim. This also makes attaching handles problematic because the top of the mug it bone dry by the time I am ready to attach the handle.

When I have wrapped my pieces in plastic, after a week the bottoms are still too wet to trim.

Is there something else I should try?

Thank you,

Achilles

I have this problem in the winter because Canadian winters are extremely dry. Selectively wrapping can help. But I sortof just got used to trimming wetter. Sharper tools, different cutting technique. You don't get the satisfying ribbons, but it's doable. Even if you just trim the bulk off and do the fine details a little later--that will make drying easier.

If you're running an air conditioner or dehumidifier running aggressively in your home, that will contribute.

let them dry completely but do not leave such a thick bottom.  trim while making the mug to the point that there is little left to do.  when totally dry, turn the mugs over and use a slightly wet sponge on just the bottom as you cut.  do not let water run down the mug or it will collapse.  try it a few times, it works well.  handles should already be on the mug.

I throw cone ten porcelain (Standard 257) off the hump and often have excess clay to trim off of the bottom. I agree with the advice above to turn the pots over on their rims as soon as they are dry enough to handle the weight. Once they are upside down, you can selectively wrap plastic around them to keep the rims damp while letting the feet dry enough to trim and attach handles.

I had the same problem so I taught myself to throw the bottom and sides thinner. I would use a needle tool to check the thickness while throwing after I went thru the bottom of some of the bowls while trimming. I don't mind trimming but I hate to take a lot off.

I solved my off the hump trimming issues by trimming the pot with a knife made from a sharpened spoon just after the pot is removed from the hump.

Hold the bowl in one hand, trim with the tool in the other hand, and set it down. 

Except wiping it with a sponge at leather hard, I am done with it when I set the bowl aside after cutting it off.

lt

I use a pointed modeling stick to trim the lower wall and mark an indent for the cutoff wire. Should not need much trimming. I prefer using small bats because with porcelain, the tea bowls or mugs can warp easily when lifting. But,I clean off the lower bottom walls on everything I throw, cutoff,  and reuse that clay that was removed.

Marcia

Archived