OPEN LID KILN

Hello!

when in high my medium small used kiln lid gets open about 1/4-1/2 inch and I don't know if I should be placing something heavy on top (before) or check the hinge, is this opening very abnormalhuh.gif? so far, with about 10 firings didn't broke any piece...but may be the cost in electricity is higher...!?

some advice?

THANKS!!smile.gif

Hi I am def not a tech expert, but my first, very old, second hand kiln was a small top loader and I was told it is the nature of that style of kiln. If my memory serves me right it was something to do with venting as there is no 'roof' port hole. I was told never to weight it down.

I'm sure some of the tech experts here will have a better explanation

cheers, Lyn

Hello!

when in high my medium small used kiln lid gets open about 1/4-1/2 inch and I don't know if I should be placing something heavy on top (before) or check the hinge, is this opening very abnormalhuh.gif? so far, with about 10 firings didn't broke any piece...but may be the cost in electricity is higher...!?

some advice?

THANKS!!smile.gif

I have in the past put an extra kiln lid on the top of the kiln lid, just as added insulation. However if you were to weight the lid down unevenly, or weight in the center etc. you could cause the roof to collapse. So I would be very careful with any "weighting". As others say here, it is the nature of the beast, so don't worry about it.

Guest HerbNorriss

From Arnold Howard, from another thread :

"The lid is rising at the front because the firebricks in the walls are expanding as they get hot. That places pressure against the lid, causing it to rise. You can solve this problem by enlarging the holes in the hinge that hold the rod. Lift up the back of the lid. If it already has about 1/8" of play, then the hinge may be bent, causing the lid to bind instead of rise at the hinge rod.

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard

Paragon Industries, L.P., Mesquite, Texas USA

ahoward@paragonweb.com / www.paragonweb.com "

I hope he won't mind my quoting him!

From Arnold Howard, from another thread :

"The lid is rising at the front because the firebricks in the walls are expanding as they get hot. That places pressure against the lid, causing it to rise. You can solve this problem by enlarging the holes in the hinge that hold the rod. Lift up the back of the lid. If it already has about 1/8" of play, then the hinge may be bent, causing the lid to bind instead of rise at the hinge rod.

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard

Paragon Industries, L.P., Mesquite, Texas USA

ahoward@paragonweb.com / www.paragonweb.com "

I hope he won't mind my quoting him!

I solved that problem years ago as I like to fire my kiln with 2-4 sections. So my lid is with two handles, and no hinge-comes off completely and stands beside the kiln when not in use. The two handles make it easier for me to lift it on and off without dragging it.

Archived