100 Sake Cups

My nephew Akira is getting married this fall-I just offered to make them 100 sake cups for the reception. Guests could take them home afterwards-Not sure if they will go for this idea yet.I have not made a saki cup in 3 decades.

I would make them all different and glaze them all different as well. They will all be made from cone 10 porcelain .

two art shows and a few wholesale orders 1st -its on Oct 14th on way back from an out of state show for me. Wedding is in Santa Barbara on the beach.My sister lives there and I'm spending 6 days there 1st.Going to do some ocean bonding.

Guest JBaymore

Can we assume you will test each cup to make sure they work properly?

Quality control and protection from liability issues dictate no less of an approach.  :)

I suggest a nice junmai daiginjo...... tsumitai (cold).... on a hot afternoon.

best,

............john

Seems you are really excited by this Mark. but boy oct is not that far away esp after you fill your other orders. 

How will you pack them? Or will you just have them on the table at the placement? 

keeping my fingers crossed they will go for this. maybe they might have their own suggestion too. 

Cool idea!  My wife made me do pretty much the same thing for our wedding - make lots of extras!  

Ours were simple small teacup/shot glasses/salt cups thrown off the hump, no trimming, all glazed a ^6 lime green to match the purple and green color theme of the wedding.  On the bottoms we made a new signature with both our initials and the wedding date.  Since we were purple and green themed, I ordered a case of purple tulip bulbs to spread out on the table among the green cups and other centerpiece items.  It looked good and to this day guests still comment ours was one of the best weddings they've ever been to and they definitely still ask me about the cups and say their flowers are still growing.  Even though it's not "difficult" to crank out these cups, it sure does make a lasting impression it seems.

Looks like a go

I was also thinking hump thrown no trimers -I think it will be Babu porcelain or 550 Porcelain cone 11 reduction glazes-they will will not be all alike in form or color-I want variety .Maybe glaze them in groups of 20.

Fantastic!  Very thoughtful. A guy I worked with wanted some shot glasses for his bachelor party I told him I would do a dozen no problem. I found a had a very difficult time making this small simple form. I would say having a variety will be helpful. I will say hump thrown would be the way to go on this. This should be no problem for the nine tons a year potter and super uncle.

so are you going to include the bottle in the set then? which style are you going to make them in. oooh. so many possibilities. but yes it did get easier. 

would you make a wedding pot?

talking about weddings... long time ago a friend got me into giving hand made pottery as wedding gifts. they have always been greatly appreciated. 

You could have a run of nice color decals made and fire them onto the white sake cups for them - that might be a nice treat since they bought them already

EDIT:

BTW - our "guestbook" was three 24" thrown platters that a fellow ceramic artist made for us.  Everyone signed with a Pebeo Porcelaine china pen, which got sintered on in the kiln at like 500* -- pretty durable "ink"

Also, something I saw recently at my wife's cousin's wedding that seemed cool -- they had a 1yr anniversary time capsule box; guests wrote best wishes and comments, etc and put it inside like a suggestion box, not to be read until a year later.  Thought that maybe doing this out of clay for someone might be fun - that way it cannot be opened early unless you break it open like a piggy bank (maybe weaken some key areas on the inside of the form to break out easily so it's not completely destroyed)

The cups are at the other end of the sate and have yet to arrive to them (little Tokyo,LA)-I like the decal idea but logistics are not working well. 

I'm going with their suggestion on a bride and groom set for the toasting.

Archived