Seeking advice on making items for special events.

I live in the path of the TOTAL ECLIPSE OF THE SUN coming Aug. 21. Can’t wait for this once in a life time event that will only last about 2 ½ min.

Within the past two weeks I was given the opportunity to set up for an event at a local museum and have

designed a small item that could be done in multiples. Not sure how many to make? I think I can finish

them before the event.

ask the museum how many people they expect and try to get them to use your work as a permanent souvenir of the event.  be sure to include the museum name, date and event.  ask the museum to purchase all of them and put them in their shop.  might work and you are guaranteed the payment and get it all at once.  

then put something else into your temporary sale, good luck.

I like oldlady's idea of asking the museum to purchase them in advance. If they are not interested, then I would make small accessible items with a sun+moon theme, but not too specific with the date or town name so that you can sell the extras down the road. I bet the eclipse will become part of your town's history, therefore eclipse-themed things will still be sellable for a long while.

I'm picturing small baubles attached to a key ring, small dishes, coaster sets, things like that.

I hope you get clear skies.

Eclipses are an amazing event.  The temperature drop and the birds going quiet was so amazing.  (Total eclipse of 1999, I wasn't in the full path, but we did have a cloudless sky, whereas the southwest of the UK in the full path was in cloud.)

The last one I remember in the UK was a really cloudy day, and there was nothing to notice.  (On the playground waiting to start a cycling course.)

Enjoy and make the most of the day.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I am hoping for clear skys, which could translate to large crowds.

The eclipse will follow a path across the U. S. Communities in the path of the eclipse are preparing for large crowds, as is our

area. Hotels, motels and campgrounds are booked up.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I am hoping for clear skys, which could translate to large crowds.

The eclipse will follow a path across the U. S. Communities in the path of the eclipse are preparing for large crowds, as is our

area. Hotels, motels and campgrounds are booked up.

That is interesting. I am going to see it at my aunts. She has a house with a huge field with no trees anywhere in sight. We are going to watch it. She is in the direct path of the total eclipse. Taking my son out of school for it. Should be a moment to remember.

Hope you make a good amount of selling to tourist who are nostalgic. 

We are booked into a hot springs for this -we booked in two Aprils ago with my wife family  The only fly in this plan is if Tuna and conditions to fish for them are right as often is the case in mid August-If the weather window lines up I may be 30-40 miles at sea tuna fishing in the direct path of the eclipse . I will add that this would be the best place to view it as well.

The trouble with special event items is they are super specific. Like my potter friend who did 200 small pitchers with the folks name and wedding date on side. He got paid up front but they called the wedding off and he had 200 of the se finished. Nobody wanted them as they had all that unless info on side.

I have another friend who made the same for a marathon.-well you know the rest.

Left over stock is the downside of this endeavor with specific only relevant  info to that event that will get you.

I will be in Carbondale Illinois for the eclipse - I am hoping you are at the museum there! I will totally be buying cute one day only baubles -- my hubs is an astrophysics nerd.

I think the suggestion for making eclipse themed items without a date is a good idea.  

Also, I wouldn't make too many - Limited Edition. :)

Archived