my handmade trimming tools

I decided to make some trim tools the other day. I got a few small pieces of stainless, trimmed, bent and sharpened them, did a quick test and they work awesome. Later I got the idea to take a stainless butter knife and turn it into a trimming tool. I put on my ninja suit (I am a fat guy it was hard to find a ninja suit to fit me) and snuck into the kitchen to rummage through the silverware drawer. I took two fine specimens (I could have asked my girlfriend but sometimes its better to ask for forgiveness than it is permission) and snuck back up to my office and got to work, quickly bent the ends, I bent them a little long so I could sharpen the sides for use as well. they seem to work great, I need to get back to throwing more pots so I can really give them a good test.

Sorry for the pictures, little busy looking but hopefully you can see them well enough

post-6939-132460888069_thumb.jpg

post-6939-132460890307_thumb.jpg

post-6939-132460888069_thumb.jpg

post-6939-132460890307_thumb.jpg

Buckeye,

They look awesome ! I would kill you if I was her, hope it wasn't her grandmothers silver.

Trimming the bottom skirt of clay off my pots gives me more trouble than any other part of throwing a pot.

I end up creating more of a mess than if I just left it alone. Random pieces of mud always end up sticking

on the base, undercut again to remove, and dang it if it doesn't happen again, and again.

Some potters make it look so easy. Its all in the right tool I guess.

Hope they make yours pots look fab!

juli

I think your trimmers look pretty good, I have a couple of loop trimmers that I bought from a potter who was going out of buisness in the early 70's. He told me that they were 15 years old then. I guess there antiques now but they are my favorite, the wood handle looks pretty typical maybe a little fatter, I believe the wood is hickory. There is a two small grooves opposite each other end of the handle and a wire loop is laid into the groove and held by wire wrap the handle around and around 18 to 24 times. I can't find and soldering marks the wire just seems to end, I think the wire they wrapped with is brass. You might want to try and make some of these the next time you get the urge to make tools. I also bought a couple of bakelite smoothing thumbs from him but they broke years ago. Have a happy holiday} Denice

Juli - it sounds like you are trimming them to early. Right after I throw a piece I cut it off the bat but leave it sitting on the bat, once it has set up good but still stuck to the bat I will cut it again and flip it over to let the bottom dry and set up really good before I start trimming.

Denice - Is there any way you can show us a picture of your trimming tools? I would love to see them! If you have trouble putting pics on here I would so appreciate it if you could send me a picture to my email.

I am scared of girl power and I know how you women stick together so I better clear something up so none of you are mad at me. I MIGHT have exaggerated for effect. I found a couple of old mismatched butter knifes in a box from my bachelor days, I didnt use one from her good set, I promise!

Juli - it sounds like you are trimming them to early. Right after I throw a piece I cut it off the bat but leave it sitting on the bat, once it has set up good but still stuck to the bat I will cut it again and flip it over to let the bottom dry and set up really good before I start trimming.

Denice - Is there any way you can show us a picture of your trimming tools? I would love to see them! If you have trouble putting pics on here I would so appreciate it if you could send me a picture to my email.

I am scared of girl power and I know how you women stick together so I better clear something up so none of you are mad at me. I MIGHT have exaggerated for effect. I found a couple of old mismatched butter knifes in a box from my bachelor days, I didnt use one from her good set, I promise!

Very funny, I'm a little disappointed I thought I was getting a new insight to the male mind and their decision making process. You wouldn't believe how much cutlery, knives and towels I have lost over the years. Lately my husband invades my studio because I keep it organized and he can find what he wants to steal quickly, his shop looks like a bomb went off in it. I'll send you pictures in the next week or so, my husband said that he would teach me how to load pictures into the computer over the holidays. Denice

I decided to make some trim tools the other day. I got a few small pieces of stainless, trimmed, bent and sharpened them, did a quick test and they work awesome. Later I got the idea to take a stainless butter knife and turn it into a trimming tool. I put on my ninja suit (I am a fat guy it was hard to find a ninja suit to fit me) and snuck into the kitchen to rummage through the silverware drawer. I took two fine specimens (I could have asked my girlfriend but sometimes its better to ask for forgiveness than it is permission) and snuck back up to my office and got to work, quickly bent the ends, I bent them a little long so I could sharpen the sides for use as well. they seem to work great, I need to get back to throwing more pots so I can really give them a good test.

Sorry for the pictures, little busy looking but hopefully you can see them well enough

Since you seem to be doing a little metal work, maybe you should try getting some hack saw blades, annealing them and forming your tools with them. they work pretty well for trimming tools, sharpen up well, and you can buy a pack of 50 for very little. You do have to be careful of chattering as they have a bit of spring.

Since you seem to be doing a little metal work, maybe you should try getting some hack saw blades, annealing them and forming your tools with them. they work pretty well for trimming tools, sharpen up well, and you can buy a pack of 50 for very little. You do have to be careful of chattering as they have a bit of spring.

Thats the next thing on my list, I would actually like to use them for chattering though. I dont think I can make a better trim tool that the stainless ones I already made but think they will be great for chattering.

Archived