Salt Fired Pieces In Electric Kiln

I recently fired my new wood kiln for the first time.  Had a few issues (now solved - I think) that caused excessive reduction throughout the firing.  The pots came out with almost no flashing despite the extensive use of flashing slips.  At the end of the firing we added about a pound of salt for just a little extra shine.  Most piece got very minor or no salt effects.  Just as a test I have been sticking a small piece or two into the center a bisque firing in my 10 cubic foot electric kiln.  The color change is pretty dramatic with a strong shift to oxidized reds and oranges.  I am bisque firing to around cone 05.  I am also using a down-draft kiln vent throughout the firing. 

The attached photo (if I get it attached correctly) shows two pots that looked just like the one on the left after the wood firing.  The one on the right went through the electric bisque.post-12807-0-13831600-1499777946_thumb.jpg

QUESTION: Is there likely any significant damage to the electric kiln through the introduction of a small (about 2 mugs per firing) amount of slightly salt-glazed pieces in a bisque firing?  What temperature is needed to re-volatize the salt enough to possibly cause problems? 

Thanks,

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

Archived