Google Yourself!

For the past four months I have been getting all kinds of phone calls re: teaching, supplies, purchasing clay, camps for kids, studio tours .. etc. Then I finally asked someone where they were getting my name and they said they Googled me. Well OK I guess ... nice to know I come up on page one.

Today, after another call, I stopped and Googled " pottery, Raleigh NC" and there I was ... number one ... listed as an open for business pottery studio complete with directions. Somehow they fished an image off a page in my website of a Florida pottery center I taught at a couple years ago. It was a lovely teaching studio. Mystery solved on the lessons and camp thing.

So I took some time to figure out how to correct my listing and get the images changed so now I think I am properly listed. Who knows?

So, you might want to check out how you show up on the internet.

I certainly did not list myself that way ... they accumulated old data from several sources and came up with a totally weird profile. I hope I got rid of it publicly but I know it is lurking somewhere.

I have a few pages with my name on various topics from ceramics to ocean issues dive photos and the like.

They have some photos of strangers and other family members-oh well not worth the trouble fixing-looks like instagram stuff which I'm not on.

Most of the stuff is right-covers many aspects of my life

Its all from old data points but most is real.

After trying to stay off the grid for so long I'm happy to say that there are enough people with the same name out there to really confuse if you don't know me personally. It is sometimes scary to find out how much THEY know about you, but happily, I'm still pretty much a ghost on the internet.  :ph34r: 

I googled Pugaboo as well as my full name and both came up all over the place, mostly correctly though there was an obituary for my name in 2012 but was for a woman that appears to have been a civil rights person. There are a couple other Pugaboo people out there but hopefully they are nice people that love pugs as well.

T

I have a very distant cousin, Marcia Selsor, who is a wellness coach, but my work pops up with her face. She is much younger! Most Marcias in the family tree have spelled it Marsha. She is the first with the same spelling on both names. Selsor has been spelled with no less than 10 variations.-even on one of my gallery websites. I am found on numerous public sites in Montana . 

For Marcia Selsor there are 38,790+ entries. But there are 2 of us.

Marcia

For the past four months I have been getting all kinds of phone calls re: teaching, supplies, purchasing clay, camps for kids, studio tours .. etc. Then I finally asked someone where they were getting my name and they said they Googled me. Well OK I guess ... nice to know I come up on page one.

Today, after another call, I stopped and Googled " pottery, Raleigh NC" and there I was ... number one ... listed as an open for business pottery studio complete with directions. Somehow they fished an image off a page in my website of a Florida pottery center I taught at a couple years ago. It was a lovely teaching studio. Mystery solved on the lessons and camp thing.

So I took some time to figure out how to correct my listing and get the images changed so now I think I am properly listed. Who knows?

So, you might want to check out how you show up on the internet.

I certainly did not list myself that way ... they accumulated old data from several sources and came up with a totally weird profile. I hope I got rid of it publicly but I know it is lurking somewhere.

BTW Chris,

there is another Chris Campbell potter who does wood firing , I think in Texas. I am always surprised to see his work with your name.

Marcia

I just googled myself and everything seems to be in order. Google does make me nervous sometimes with how many tentacles they have, reaching into every crevice of the internet. On some browsers, when I google my name, up pops a photo of my house! Not cool, Google!

> BTW Chris,

there is another Chris Campbell potter who does wood firing , I think in Texas. I am always surprised to see his work with your name.

Yes there is. I have been invited to be in wood fire shows and wood firings. She probably gets questions about colored clay.

Found a lot of Dr.s with my name, someone deceased in Ontario, and found that my blog site is rated pretty high in a few blog review sites. Other than that not to much of anything.

best,

Pres

Truly amazing what comes up---I got this, from back in Virginia in the early '80s: Fan Free Clinic "Artists Against AIDS," works by Lee Ustinich and Gardner Phillips to benefit the People with AIDS fund. Through Aug. 1. 1010 N. Thompson St. 303-9266. We did some really nice ceramic elements in collboration--fragmented body parts made by slabs pressed onto shoulders, backs, faces, knees etc., left unglazed, hung on chain link. It was such an obscure little show, I'm astounded it popped up on the Internet over 30 years later. We didn't even have personal computers then! ! Also got some of my Pinterest pins, an obiturary guest book I signed, posts made on CAD forums, a post of a donation to a family cancer fund, articles I have been correctly cited on as co-author, MH block grant stuff (used to manage it for the state), my old addresses, LinkedIn stuff, my ex-husband's high school, my ex-boyfriend's mother's name and on and on!!! We can run, but we cannot hide!!!

So this time I googled my name with the following results:

1. I am the co- founder of MySpace.

2. I co- produce The Simpsons.

3. I am an attorney.

4. I am a dentist.

5. I have died six times in the last year.

I never realized how interesting my life and six deaths are and were. Who knew?

Tom

> BTW Chris,

Yes there is. I have been invited to be in wood fire shows and wood firings. She probably gets questions about colored clay.

she is a he from the photos I've seen.

M

Mark:

Not existing on the web works for me. The only peeps I care to interact with on the web, are right here.

Nerd

I'm active on a tuna fishing site as well-its in my blood-working on the big boat today-Tuna (albacore) are off the west coast  NOW and I'm waiting for a weather window to land some.Its an ocean thing.

Several years ago, my name, home address, phone number, email address and website got listed as Circle Computer Resources, a computer and equipment dealer.  You can find that listing on many, many "business directories" and I occasionally got mailings, and emailings, trying to sell me services.  As far as I can tell, there has never been a Circle Computer Resources in Kansas (there is one based in Iowa).  I have no idea where the listing came from, and I've never been able to track down a way to get it removed at the source.

I'm just glad nobody ever showed up at my door looking to buy computer parts.  I've since moved (lived there 20 years), but the listings persist.

Circle Computer Resources is a Computer & Equipment Dealers company at WICHITA, Kansas, United States, Tel: ...

Best phone call I got was from the makers of the "Great Pottery Throwdown" asking if they could use my studio for making the programme!  My studio is half of an 8 by 12 greenhouse!  It would have been cozy.

Best phone call I got was from the makers of the "Great Pottery Throwdown" asking if they could use my studio for making the programme!  My studio is half of an 8 by 12 greenhouse!  It would have been cozy.

I found that show on YouTube last year and couldn't get enough of it! Finally the second season was posted and I binge watched it for a week. 

It's hard to believe that those are amateur potters and how well they handled the various challenges thrown at them over the course of the series.

Any chance you could become a contestant? :) 

JK

Any chance you could become a contestant? :)

JK

lol - no way.  I'm too fussy, couldn't stand the "drying room".  I want more control than they get.  Not to mention the fact that I can't throw, and not for want of trying.

Archived