It's finally time...

Guest HerbNorriss

Guest HerbNorriss

My Skutt 1027 finally needs new elements; so I thought I would ask those that have replaced their elements where they got their new set. Were they OEM elements, from Skutt, or from someone like Euclid's or Big Ceramic store, etc?

The elements in my kiln now are the ones that came with it, they are four years old, and have performed much better than expected, I've done many firings with them, probably more than I should have, but they were working well until the last couple of firings, now the kiln is getting dead slow.

What kind of luck have you had with replacing your elements?

My Skutt 1027 finally needs new elements; so I thought I would ask those that have replaced their elements where they got their new set. Were they OEM elements, from Skutt, or from someone like Euclid's or Big Ceramic store, etc?

The elements in my kiln now are the ones that came with it, they are four years old, and have performed much better than expected, I've done many firings with them, probably more than I should have, but they were working well until the last couple of firings, now the kiln is getting dead slow.

I'm a total noob, herb....

But when the instructor @ my Beginner pottery class made the comment/showed frustration that she had been waiting >months< for the Maintenance dept at the college to replace the elements in one of the L & L kilns in the studio I told her that I would take a look at it and would give it a shot if I thought I could handle the task.

A hour and a half later...the elements were in. I have since replaced the elements on the larger 2827 kiln as well.

My advice (after unplugging the unit completely!!).... take a picture of the wiring before you tear into it. (this gave me a lot of confidence, fwiw) These were both older L & L kilns (7+ years, I'm told) and some of the numbering on the electrical leads were faded...so make sure you have a magic marker or other way to remark them if needed. Other than that...it was basically just taking the time to study the layout of the leads and how the elements were ran...and then tearing things apart and putting them back together in sequence... and some cutting and bending and screws/washers/nuts. As i found out when I tackled the second kiln...having an extra set of hands to help you get the digital controller off and back on makes the job a bit easier if that is something you can arrange.

For me..it was a learning experience all the way around and some really good exposure right off the bat to what makes a kiln work.

Good luck and happy firings!

I'm a total noob, herb....

But when the instructor @ my Beginner pottery class made the comment/showed frustration that she had been waiting >months< for the Maintenance dept at the college to replace the elements in one of the L & L kilns in the studio I told her that I would take a look at it and would give it a shot if I thought I could handle the task.

A hour and a half later...the elements were in. I have since replaced the elements on the larger 2827 kiln as well.

My advice (after unplugging the unit completely!!).... take a picture of the wiring before you tear into it. (this gave me a lot of confidence, fwiw) These were both older L & L kilns (7+ years, I'm told) and some of the numbering on the electrical leads were faded...so make sure you have a magic marker or other way to remark them if needed. Other than that...it was basically just taking the time to study the layout of the leads and how the elements were ran...and then tearing things apart and putting them back together in sequence... and some cutting and bending and screws/washers/nuts. As i found out when I tackled the second kiln...having an extra set of hands to help you get the digital controller off and back on makes the job a bit easier if that is something you can arrange.

For me..it was a learning experience all the way around and some really good exposure right off the bat to what makes a kiln work.

Good luck and happy firings!

You were lucky it was an L&L as the elements are easier to change without damaging bricks with the liners. I have changed elements often in L&Ls and always found it easy. taking a photo does help the first few time to make certain the wiring is right. I also take time to replace leads if they need it and blocks if they need it.

The one time that I had a problem with the changing of elements was when I used a set from another manufacturer. The kiln did not fire as well as in the old elements. Next set I got were direct from L&L. I also got in the habit of keeping a few spares around just in case-even though L&L will have the elements to you very quickly.

Guest HerbNorriss

Yes, taking pics before, and labelling all wires is always a good idea - takes me back to days of installing car stereos and remote starters in my car(s).

I had to replace two relays, and the wiring harness in this kiln in a hurry, as my wife had a commission due in a week. Pictures, labelling, and taking my time made it straightforward, took me about an hour and a half, so I think the elements will be the same.

Thanks , Marcia, for telling me that you got the elements from Skutt. I think I might get them from Skutt, I just wanted some opinions on whether the Skutt elements, or another suppliers, were better.

You can always find good help on this board!

Archived