Cone 5/6 Celadon Recipe For Oxidation

I'm looking for some recipes for 'celadons' that can be fired in an oxidation atmosphere at ^5/6.  I realize that traditional celadons are typically fired at ^10 but have used some of Amaco's at ^5/6 and love their transparency. I'm just embarking on mixing my own glazes and don't find too much out there for celadons at that temp so would love to have any recipes you're able to share. I'd also like a good base recipe that I can tweak :) Thanks in advance, love this site and how much I've learned from all of you.

As ;you correctly note, a traditional celadon is a low iron transparent glaze fired in reduction to cause the iron colorant to be various shades of blue or green, depending on the content of the base. In recent years, certain commercial glaze companies have usurped the meaning to cover a transparent glaze with any tint they can put in. You can do that too. Take any transparent clear glaze recipe and tint it whatever color you want with a few percent of stain.

Here's a recipe I have used in the past. I will undoubtedly have taken an original idea from elsewhere, and modified it to suit my materials and requirements - but I don't remember where! You can do the same...

Potash Feldspar --------- 48.0 %

Silica ----------------------- 22.0 %

Whiting -------------------- 17.0 %

China Clay ----------------  8.0 %

Zinc Oxide ----------------  5.0 %

+ Copper Carbonate ---- 0.25 %

+ Bentonite ---------------- 2.0 %

The tiny, tiny amount of Copper Carbonate (a quarter of one percent) might seem like it will make no difference, but it works very well. I remember playing with adding even tinier amounts of Cobalt Carbonate to the mix (as well as the Copper), which was also interesting.

It is best at a proper Cone 6, soaked for a while.

Obviously, your type of Pot Feldspar will be different to mine, but just try it and see.

Thank you! I will certainly give this a try.

Here's a recipe I have used in the past. I will undoubtedly have taken an original idea from elsewhere, and modified it to suit my materials and requirements - but I don't remember where! You can do the same...

Potash Feldspar --------- 48.0 %

Silica ----------------------- 22.0 %

Whiting -------------------- 17.0 %

China Clay ----------------  8.0 %

Zinc Oxide ----------------  5.0 %

+ Copper Carbonate ---- 0.25 %

+ Bentonite ---------------- 2.0 %

The tiny, tiny amount of Copper Carbonate (a quarter of one percent) might seem like it will make no difference, but it works very well. I remember playing with adding even tinier amounts of Cobalt Carbonate to the mix (as well as the Copper), which was also interesting.

It is best at a proper Cone 6, soaked for a while.

Obviously, your type of Pot Feldspar will be different to mine, but just try it and see.

Can't wait to try this. Thank you!

As ;you correctly note, a traditional celadon is a low iron transparent glaze fired in reduction to cause the iron colorant to be various shades of blue or green, depending on the content of the base. In recent years, certain commercial glaze companies have usurped the meaning to cover a transparent glaze with any tint they can put in. You can do that too. Take any transparent clear glaze recipe and tint it whatever color you want with a few percent of stain.

Great insight. Thank you!

RonSa

Marcia, why the Mason #6600 Black @ 0.02?  I know black is strong but does that little bit really do anything?

that is what it took to make that match my ^10 celadon. It is enough to tinge the glaze towards bluish gray toning down the copper carb.

You can tweak to your childish delight!

Marcia

• 2 weeks later...

Archived