Pkqw: Week 12 (Can You Believe It!)

Week 12

1. First used in late twelfth century Persia, __________________ spread rapidly across the continents. _________________ pieces feature many type of embellishment from narrative scenes and representational imagery to pure pattern. The

1. underglazing Underglazed

2. slip decorating Slip decoarted

3. enameling Enameled

4. piercing Pierced

2. This technique, often the nemesis of beginning potters trimming, is called _______________. It is a traditional Japanese technique that produces a regular series of marks across a piece. It is very dependent on the type of tool, and the angle the tool is held at.

1. incising

2. fluting

3. faceting

4. chattering

3. __________________ may be used as a resist when working with decorating with slip in single or multiple layers. As it should not be fired in a kiln, it is peeled off after the clay slips have dried to the leather hard stage.

1. Paraffin

2. Shellac

3. paper

4. latex

4. Early hand-built forms from Egypt and the Middle East, as well as the Americas, were ___________________ to make them more impervious to liquids.

1. burnished

2. glazed

3. wood fired

4. smoked

This weeks questions come from text in Surface Design for Ceramics, Maureen Mills, c. 2008, first paper back version 2011, Lark Ceramics.

Note from Pres: For those of you looking for Surface ideas, this is a an elaborately illustrated book that supplements Making Marks(Robin Hopper). It is well organized and includes several little known/used techniques. On the upside , I bought the book because it had pictures of 3 pieces by John Baymore, that I had met online in the forums.

Answers:

1. 3. enameling, Enameled - First used in late twelfth century Persia, enameling spread rapidly across the continents. Enameled pieces feature many types of embellishment from narrative scenes and representational imagery to pure pattern. Note from Pres:One of the examples in the book on the same page as this excerpt is titled Chaire, 2006 by John Baymore, it is a thrown porcelain body and a dark stoneware lid, with a Nuka glaze on body, wood fired to cone 10, and painted with overglaze enamel, fird to cone 017. beautiful.

2. 4. chattering-The traditional Japanese technique called chattering produces a regular series of marks across the surface of a piece. To achieve this effect, you hold a metal rib to the surface of a piece that's on a potter's wheel. The tool bounces on the clay and makes notches in it as the wheel turns. Although it’s typically created on sections of a pot where trimming is suitable, such as the underside of a bowl, some potters chatter the outside of a vertical vessel or the inside of a bowl. The marks your tool makes have more to do with the shape of the piece than the tool you use. To develop your technique, pay close attention to the stiffness and shape of the clay, and the angle of the tool.

3. 4. Latex-Latex is a water-based product used to make flexible molds, but it's also a great material for use as a resist applied to leather—hard clay: It sticks well, holds its shape and position during decorating, and then peels off Since the removal is immediate, you have the benefit of being able to apply additional layers of masking and slip as soon as the previous layers of slip become leather hard again. Plan your final processes before you begin. It’s important that a latex resist is completely removed from the piece before it’s ï¬red. Latex shouldn’t be ï¬red in a kiln. Its fumes are toxic, and a residue of latex left on the clay after it has burned off can disturb the finishing process.

4. 1. burnished-Early hand-built forms from Egypt and the Middle East, as well as the Americas, were burnished to make them more impervious to liquids.

1-4-3-1

Apparently I need to expand my reading. I knew the Persians, Chinese, and japan had a lot of influence on modern pottery. Knew Persian pottery was heavily decorated: much being historical records: as I knew the Chinese mastered porcelain long before Europe. However, the techniques they employed; had no clue.

Nerd

1-4-3-1

Apparently I need to expand my reading. I knew the Persians, Chinese, and japan had a lot of influence on modern pottery. Knew Persian pottery was heavily decorated: much being historical records: as I knew the Chinese mastered porcelain long before Europe. However, the techniques they employed; had no clue.

Nerd

Look up Minai  http://www.antiques.com/vendor_item_images/ori__310295792_1069694_Minai_Style_Bowl_-_ADC.57.jpg

so happy to share something with you for a change!

Marcia

Pres. , it is a photo but not disclosing the answer

Marcia... just had to share with Glazenerd. 

Wow, Marcia, Lee, Dean, Mark, and Roberta did quite well at 100%  The great thing is that the others that participated were in the passing range. Best performance yet folks. Hey, what happened to all you that lurked around out there, as I know we had many more viewers than participants.

Full Answer key coming soon.  

Best,

Pres

Archived