How To Tell If Problem With Olympic Kiln Is Elements Or Relay

augal

I have olympic kiln model S18HE  cone 10  240v kiln with bartlett controller.  It has two connected elements that will not heat up when i did the test i found online.. 1 and 3 lit up and 2 and 4 did not.  how to check to be sure it is the element and not the relay before i order parts to fix? I am pretty good with basic wiring and can use amp or ohm meter  ....have pulled cover and there is no obvious issue visible so it is a matter of testing.  i am thinking element failure for a couple of reasons. any advice is welcome.   

If 2 and 4 connect to the same relay, then it's probably the relay. You can always do a continuity test of the elements with your meter to see if there's a break. If you're willing to do a test with the kiln panel open and powered up, turn the kiln on and test the outgoing terminals on the relays with your meter.

My husband restores old cars for a hobby, he always tells me it you can't decide between two solutions to a problem.  Start with the easiest and cheapest and go from there.  You may end up with a new part when you didn't need it right now or you may have fixed it.   Denice

If all the elements are the same length they should have the same resistance if you ohmed each one. If its a relay, try finding a part number on it to cross reference. Should be able to find one at an electrical supply store near Auburn.

Good luck!

Alabama

• 1 month later...

element of the same length can have different ohm resistance , the size of the wire changes the resistance , the answer from Neil Estrick  addresses your problem very well , good luck , keep us informed.

Archived