Bisque Firing Plates

Hi all,

I've seen a number of posts regarding the bisqued firing. In some it advocates stacking sideways, I'm going to fire a set of dinner plates and side plates. Which would be the best way.

1. Stacking sideways

2. Stacking on top of each other

3. Stacking dinner and side together.

Thanks

Andrea

The way you are most comfortable with is the best way. 

I haven't been willing to load thrown plates on the rims. I do this for flat edged platters.

I have stacked ~6 plates on each other and would feel comfortable loading more on top if the feet were in about the same place.

I have stacked them on top, boxed them (one down/one upside down), fired them upside down, however they fit the kiln. Lately they have been a little larger, and my J-23 will not take too many side by side unless I stagger shelves and positions of the stack. I would never stack on edge. . . just the idea shivers me!  :wacko:

best,

Pres

I stack my porcelain plates flat foot to foot or two together as President calls boxed-one sits on the shelve foot down the next is upside down rim to rim.I tend to think in twos and threes-but I have lots of shelves. I also have fired then on their sides and tumble stacked on top of other pots.They are always bone dry.

The type of clay you are using makes a difference. Porcelain doesn't have a lot of crap (sulphur compounds) to burn out so putting them in rims together, boxing, is one thing but if you have a stoneware that needs a clean well vented firing to prevent pinholes in the glazing stage then that method might not be the best way. Stacking with a small piece of cut up firebrick between plates so there is air to get between the plates could work okay in that case. Feet aligned one over the other, piece of firebrick aligning one on top of the other in the stack so the weight is all on the feet at the same spots.

Archived